Black Lab Face Paint

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Re: Black Lab Face Paint

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:I have NEVER thought i lost birds because the dog spooked them

I sure have, even with a well behaved dog laying still, then hid the dog or moved it to a remote position and been in business.

Key word was "I" There are places out there you have to hide your dog a little better than others... BUt i bet you didnt think about putting face paint on the ole yote did you... :biggrin:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:04 pm

BBK wrote:I have always wondered what ducks think when they see a dog. I have always had this in the back of my head, but no way of proving it. Do ducks know what coyotes are? And do they think dog's are coyotes?

I've watched coyotes work bunches of duck and geese in shallow water or fields on several occasions, apparently looking for cripples, because the birds usually just rolled out of the coyotes' way and went on about their business. By the same token, a buddy once called my second, coyote colored, Chessie my "coyote blind" after watching me call blues through the fog while kneeling behind it on a clean levee. I'd shut up when the geese came into sight, and they'd veer our way to give the apparent coyote a fly-by.

Seems to me that what can make dogs troublesome to ducks and geese is being seen in a manner that reminds the birds of other places that have erupted in gunfire.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:33 pm

i_willie12 wrote:BUt i bet you didnt think about putting face paint on the ole yote did you... :biggrin:

Naw, he came with factory camo:

And often muds himself:

But when he's still a mismatch with our cover, I'll hunt him from a remote "station" or cover the bulk of him with something that's a better match:

Seems to me that rwperry has taken a lot of crap for asking what probably seems a reasonable question to most new hunters, especially those who've heard others fret over everything from spent shells to metal bands on calls spooking birds. Think about it, most hunters are convinced human faces spook birds, presumably because they're associated with trouble, why wouldn't birds also associate the dogs that are so often on hand when the shooting starts with trouble, too?
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am

Well said Rick... Just seems a little foolish to camo a black dog's face... Just brush his blind in well and teach him to be still...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby Edge » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:05 pm

this is to danged funny..................
Edge
hunter

Postby shoreboy06 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Honesly there was an old timer i used to hunt with who would have his black lab out in the decoys....this was a guy from the market gunning days, so he knew his stuff....anyway he said the motion created by the dog in the decoys looked natural from a distance once the birds got to about 70 yards he would make him lay down right in the middle of the rig....never left that old mans place without a limit so maybe it don't matter...My black and white german shorthair blends in pretty good with the decoys but normally is tucked in the pit
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm

I just have to laugh when people think they need to camo small items. Anyone who has been in a small aircraft flying within 200 feet of the ground will tell you that ANY field you look at has tens or even hundreds of single color blobs spread throughout it. One more isn't going to make a difference.

I have to wonder if dogs in the water just reseamble beaver or muskrats to the birds.

FWIW you can camo your blind perfectly in a corn field but it will still appear as somewhat of a blob from the air because it disrupts the pattern of the furrows around it. You wouldn't believe how furrows and tire tracks stand out in a field.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby huntaholic21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Dogs fur has a natural sheen to it. Just get a can of krylon matte tan spray paint and hit with a few light dustings. I do it once before early goose, and then a few touch ups through out the season. Its just another thing you have to do to be successful day in day out. Try this tip, I know its going to help you kill more birds. -- Brad Belding (Banded Industries)
huntaholic21
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Maybe go to the pound and find a couple dogs about his size in various colors. Skin their heads and tan the hides and then your dog could use the masks to match his terrain.

It puts the lotion n the basket! It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again! :eek:

Might need to change your screen name to Buffalo Bill. :lol:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:I just have to laugh when people think they need to camo small items. Anyone who has been in a small aircraft flying within 200 feet of the ground will tell you that ANY field you look at has tens or even hundreds of single color blob

Couldn't agree more. Your dog is black, why would you want to camo its face? It's not like your dog is blaze orange wearing a strobe light running around saying hey we're hunting here. It's a black dog.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 pm

:lol3:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Gen. Lee » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:31 pm

I used to put face paint on my dog's face, head, ears, etc. but I noticed that he seemed embarrassed when we dropped into a restaurant after a hunt. He thought diners were dismissing him as a ninja wannabe hound dog...

So I taught him to stand on his head in the blind. Now only his tail is visible from above and I've tied a sort of duck kite to that. Previous to that I tried various battery-powered mojos but the only place I could think to stick the stake was clearly very sensitive and beside that it was also, well, very private.

The only problems we--or,more properly, he--has encountered with the duck-kite-tied-to-his-tail method is that sometimes the wind picks up to the point where he is lifted off the ground and actually carried a good ways through the air. Thus far he has been shot while flying a number of times.

He still prefers that to having that mojo stake inserted where the sun don't shine though....
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 pm

huntaholic21 wrote:Dogs fur has a natural sheen to it. Just get a can of krylon matte tan spray paint and hit with a few light dustings. I do it once before early goose, and then a few touch ups through out the season. Its just another thing you have to do to be successful day in day out. Try this tip, I know its going to help you kill more birds. -- Brad Belding (Banded Industries)

Umm..sure.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't think there will be a problem with attracting birds as long as your dog isn't jumping all over the place.....JMO
don novicki
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 am

Buy a hockey mask and get it wrapped in shadow grass. Teach him to wear it.

We shot our share of ducks this weekend with my chocolate laying on the front of the boat outside of the blind.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Field Duck Hunting