Going to ND

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Going to ND

Postby bflow08 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 pm

im headed to Noth Dakota some wonderful waterfowl this year. I currently have 5 doz full body ducks and 5 doz full body geese and 4 mojos... the guys going with me have an additional 1 doz full body ducks.. so that makes 6 doz.. whats the forums opinion on if ill be set, or do i need to go out and get a few more dozen? im hunting for ducks mostly but im not aginst pounding a limit of honkers if they present themselves.. mostly feild hunting might hunt water but i have no problems with floaters.. thanks for your thoughts
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Re: Going to ND

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 am

Thats probably OK if you are going early in the season. If later you might want a few dozen more honkers, especially if your hunting 3 guys or more . You could probably get by without the FB ducks but I like to use them when I find a flooded field but those might be scarce this year. If you have the option get a few more goose decoys and leave some of the duck decoys at home if space is an issue. The duck will always come to the goose decoys but not the other way around. During several of our early goose seasons I have had hundreds of ducks land in the goose decoys

[urlImage][/url]
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby bflow08 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 pm

nice pic, and thanks for the info ill try and pick up a few more doz geese and maybe mix in 2 dozen ducks as confidence, we should have enough room i have a trailer so space shouldent be an issue...
Bryan
Active USAF
When you have spent a missed season in the sandbox of the middle east.. you learn that every hunt, good or bad, is a vacation well worth the time and effort..
bflow08
hunter

Postby Folsom » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:06 am

I'll be up there the last week of October. During field hunting what is the least decoys you could get by with. They will be 3-4 hunters a day in the field?
Folsom
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:32 pm

You are going to be a bit early for the big push of northern geese and ducks more than likely, but that is somethign to watch. Since you are not looking for geese straight up, then I would say you should do Ok with the numbers you have as long as ther are only four of you max. Your biggest thing is scouting. If you take the time to find the field that a large number want into...your spread is fine. Need to really conceal yourselfs well obviously. If you need to attrack a large number to give you a look..you are way to small really. So really need to scout. I can tell that the water is a wasted effort if you do not have boat or a very physically strong and strong willed dog. That is if you are going into the central part of ND anyways. The big to medium sized sloughs have dried down to about 20 yrds of wicked thick nasty muck from the cat tails to the water. Brutal to wade through and hard as hell on the dog. Mine was up to her neck in it a few times last weekend for the opener and it sucked. The samller sloughs are all dry. By the time you get out though the muck should be frozen or clsoe, so maybe no so bad? Have to see I guess. I think with 10 doz decoys you are good to go as long as you find the birds and get into those spots. Good luck
tbossart
hunter

Postby skavdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 am

We've had a little bit of rain and some snow the past week and that has helped some (in terms of adding some water back to the potholes) here in Northeast ND... all in all it's been a great duck season up here so far... it seems to me about half of the potholes are dry which concentrates the birds on the water there is... I've had my best year in a long time this season. We're seeing large flocks of ducks and the Honkers are thick as theives. Good luck and have fun on your ND hunt.
skavdog
hunter

Postby skavdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Going out tomorrow after school (teacher)...field set up... snowing again today so birds should be moving tomorrow..
skavdog
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Hey Skav, you finding large mallard feeds in the fileds up in the NE? We central south central..crushed teh geese early and so far...really to the poitn we cant stadn to really shoot anymore right now...but damn if we can find large groups of mallards feeding in the fields...ALL over on the water though. Just curious( we dont hunt anywhere but south of 94 and west of 281 just so ya know, as in not looking to invade your space so to speak...)
tbossart
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:09 am

Just got back from ND last week. We hunted strickly ducks as well. Used 3 dozen fullbody Lessers and 2 1/2 dozen fullbody ducks with two spinner and hammered ducks. Bought a cargo net for the bed of the truck and tied everything down so we didnt' have to pull a trailer. Gas price in ND are 50-55 cents higher then Omaha NE. Good luck!
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby skavdog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 am

yes, up here (NE ND, Lawton, Lankin, Adams, Edmore area) we're seeing much larger groups of mallards feeding in the fields this early in the season than any year I can remember (and yes, that is a lot of years now...lol)... its been one of my most memorable years hunting ducks.. the fact that there is about half as much water as usual has really concentrated the birds and its not hard to find them... plus the corn harvest has been about done up here for 3 weeks has really helped. This was the first year I have field hunted corn stubble and it has been great.
skavdog
hunter

Postby bflow08 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:58 am

Man, sounds like you all are having a great time with a good year.. When you’re on em your on em it sounds like.. I won’t be up there for 3 more weeks so It will be mid to later in the season, save some ducks for me… I have been keeping an eye on migration reports (they are as honest as the people writing them I know)and it seems people are reporting low numbers. It looks like it’s gonna be low to mid 20’s in the mornings and mid 40’s in the afternoons when I’m up there according to the extended forecast. I’ll be in the far south eastern part of the state around then Wishek area on the 9th of November for a week so about 20 miles from the SD boarder.. Will there still be birds left you think? I know it will be colder so it looks like field hunting or big water.. I am coming up in my 1986 shaggy wagon DUCKED out RV pulling my truck on a trailer behind my RV so I can’t pull my duck boat.. Would you recommend maybe getting a 10ft jon boat with a trolling motor to throw under my truck on the trailer just in case we have to get on some big water and hunt from the bank so I can get to our spot or am I farting liquid with that idea? We have a house rented if anyone is interested in meeting up and hunting a few days we have there are 4 of us so we have a little room. The house is 30 a night per man.. We will hunt PLOTS and ask permission.. Just opening it up! I personally love the marshy pot holes but those seem to be few from what I’m reading, and probably iced but I have some of my best hunts in Indiana where I am from when there is a thin layer of ice on a marshy spot and you cut a hole.. just want your guys opinion on condition and numbers so I know what to expect… thanks for the input so far men, its been a help… I just cant wait to be on ND soil having a great time hunting even if we don’t get limits every day or not it’s the experience that’s exciting.
Bryan
Active USAF
bflow08
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:24 am

I'm not against guys bringing a boat to ND, but I'd be careful at that time of the year and with only a 10 footer. I believe it was '04, when a hunter drown, their boat got swamped with unexpected high winds, and it was in the area that you'll be hunting. Also, you'd be dragging your boat through mud just to get to water on most places.

That time of year a lot of the hunting in that area goes to fields and away from the water, unless you have a big boat. I've talked with you through gov't email(RAF Mildenhall) and you sound like your field set up is spot on. Don't give up on the chance for water hunting, I've seen it all open then, be ready for anything. Big water though, be careful.

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:35 pm

There will be birds in that area for sure, nnless they pick and go if we get a big heavy snow or everything freezes. The question is how close to where you stay will you find them. I hunt pretty close to that area...I am in Gackle ND. North and east of where you will be. When the push comes outta candada it comes right through where you will be...so its a timing issue. When you get about 10 days or so out...ask the ND game and fish how the mirgration is going. They will let ya know the range...when they come they come...sometimes they blow by depedning on the conditions. I was out the weekend hunting pheasasnts ...tons of mallards in large groups around... Right now about 70% of the corn is down..it just rained pretty good and so it may slow'em down a bit...but by the time you get here its ALL gona be off. Beans are long gone now...but there is PLENTY of food around. So if it doesnt snow heavy the migratory birds will be in the area. Just gotta find them. I will be out the same time. Gona be deer opener when you are here so bring some orange to where while setting up in the field..just a hat is fine and for when you are packing up. I like to have something orange to wave at any guys who get out of pickups looking at my spread..just in case. Good luck.
tbossart
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Hey, if you are gona hunt PLOTS remember you can not drive on that without written permissison from the land owner..just an FYI...sucks to drag gear 500 yrds on foot and then gear AND birds back out. I do not know what you cosndier big water vs pot holes...but there are plenty of decent smaller pot holes with water in them now that its reaided..there are plenty of boot sucking muck filled ones too. Plenty of large water ALL over. so if its water ya want you will be able to find plenty of it. Be careful as was mentioned....water is goan be cold as hell by then. I prefer feilds..and those are everywhere. You should have a great time. maybe evemn shoot a phesant or two...and some grouse (yuck). Geese are stiull ALL over. I am siclk of shooting geese now. More sick of eating goose..
tbossart
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey bflow...check out the post on "migration report"..that is a guy you wana talk to before you head uip here, as to what he is seeing. Those ducks, where he is, are about a week or so out from where you hunt depending on how the weather is in central ND north of highway 2, then north of Interstate 94 (check a map) the worse the weather north of HWY2 the faster they come south to where you are...if the bad weather is up to or on top of I94..then they really come fast, BUT they can blow right on through where you are if it gets really nasty or goes SOUTH of I94 much. Just a lil local knowledge to help ya plan. Only been doing this for 34 years, but I have learned a couple things...
tbossart
hunter

Postby bflow08 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 am

Tbossart,

Thanks for the info, if only we could control the weather right? yeah i knew it was opening weekend of deer season thats why I picked that weekend because all the October boys will be gone and alot of the residents will be hunting deer so it was a win win. only probalem is its late in the season and depending on the weather the peak will have gone through, but im sure it will still be better hunting then what we see here in southern indiana. We will likly be doing more feild hunting and if there are pot holes, here in indiana we will go on a 100 mile raidus looking for birds so i may drive 250 miles a weekend looking for birds and may find a group of 50 at most so i know what it takes for a good scouting trip. i looked at the projected weather for the area im going to be in (Ashley ND) and it dosent look like there will be any major snow just a winter mix but you know weather right. it looks mid 20's in the mornings and mid 40's in the afternoons, thats good feeding weather once a day in the early afternoons. i didnt even think about the hunters orange thats a good idea im not tring to get mistaken as a big 12pt buck out there setting up decoys :fingerhead: .. thats why i bow hunt... i already killed a nice 10pt october 4th opening week... we plan on hunting PLOTS and where ever the birds are.. i heard you guys dont arnt fond of the folks from MINN. so im glad im not from there lol but we will ask permission even if it isnt posted.. just the way we do things.. im really excited.. if the birds show up ill be thrilled if we dont kill a thing ill still enjoy my time off from working... a bad day hunting beats a good day at work anytime..
Bryan
Active USAF
bflow08
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting