Ques. For pit hunters

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Ques. For pit hunters

Postby Gizzle86 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Ive hunted in many pits and have seen a lot of the roller style of tops they have to conceal then roll back to shoot, problem is the humidity and rain ends up causing rust and te doors are heavy and they don't seem fees able to me. I saw this on a older post but it was old so here it goes. I'm looking for ideas on concealment from ppl who don't think you need to be hidden to kill mallards and geese ex: kids and new sports. Something simple and light wieght and diesnt flare birds before you draw a bead. Thanks in advance

P.s. I am a new member and wanted to say this is great and very informative forum... Thanks for loving the sport as much as I do fellas
Gizzle86
hunter

Re: Ques. For pit hunters

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 am

The best way that i have seen is what looks like a PVC or other lightweight frame with fake grass on it and squares cut out of it according on how many people you can fit in your blind. These are usually flush with the ground.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 pm

You could try the raffia grass on two sides of the hole meeting in the middle. Basically a North side of raffia and a south side of raffia. That way the kids and new sports are hidden and dont have to shove the pit lids when they shoot. I dont like the idea, because when it snows and pours, your pit is becomes muddy. Cheap and effective though.
Although, I have killed with the pit lids just open.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Gizzle, we have had the same rolling door on our pit for 20+ years. We put lumber from the front to back in 3 places. Each piece of wood had a groove cut in it to allow the plastic wheels to track. The wheels were attached to metal angle and then they were attached to salt treated plywood. We repainted the door each year and kept the tracks clean. The wood needs to be replaced now finally but its been a nice set up. We cut a hole on one side and kept a shell goose decoy over it with slots cut in it so that we could stick our head up watch as the birds came in.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Ques. For pit hunters

Postby Gizzle86 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm

If you get around to it the next time you go take pics pls
Gizzle86
hunter

Postby duckbones » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 pm

In my opinion, the best pit is rhino lined, has an open mid top with a false floor and a bilge pump. No roll top at all. A ranger or 4- wheeler can be driven right over the top of it.
duckbones
hunter

Postby Pintailhut14 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Hog wire... Drill holes in the side of the pit use some little u bolt clamps to hold it on fasten it down and bend it back the way you want it and zip tie Avery real grass on it and ur done
Pintailhut14
hunter

Ques. For pit hunters

Postby Luladucks1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350610495.584329.jpg

These doors flip out. If u built some that flipped inwards instead, u could let em down slowly, not flaring birds.
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 am

We use roll tops and flip tops. I like both for different reasons. Our flip tops are built out of tubing and are low profile. They have stoppers built in to keep them from laying all the way down into the water.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Field Duck Hunting