6 volt mojo motor questions

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:48 am

Is there anywhere to buy these motors other then through mojo. Im trying to make my own. I contacted a guy and he said he had 12 volt dual shaft motoros but they are $12 and you have to buy 10 of em.

http://www.surplustraders.net/specia...%2020VDC-MB679

Just wondering if anyone else has ever bought a 6 volt directional dual shaft motor online other then ordering from mojo.

Re: 6 volt mojo motor questions

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am

Good question, I have also thought about building my own. For $12 I would be willing to buy one. Keep us posted on your findings :thumbsup:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 am

I have access to a lot of vendors that carry motors, and nobody has 6 volt dual shaft motors in stock. they all say they can order them but it would cost me more than buying from mojo or Edge.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 am

Thats no good. I wouldnt mind going the 12 volt route since we do have them hard wired in the blind. im just afraid they will spin to fast.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:Thats no good. I wouldnt mind going the 12 volt route since we do have them hard wired in the blind. im just afraid they will spin to fast.

If you're hardwiring them, go with 12 volt, and buy some speed controllers. Easy to do.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby nharold » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Do you know where to get a good price on the speed controlers?
Bird hunter and bowhunter
nharold
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 pm

yeah where can i get speed controllers. I may go the 12volt route and just try and get some speed controllers.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:55 pm

any wrecked car that has windshield wipers.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby halvoteharvesting » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:18 pm

With a little bit of knowledge i received in automotive class and electronic motors you should be able to have a 12 volt supply to your 12 volt motor and could control how fast it would turn by using differnt resistors inline with your power supply. put 10 ohms (just an example) of resistance in your 12 volt supply and the motor should drag down a little due to lack of the full power supply. Will still have 12 volts, but it will cut back on the amps going to the motor. Its like when the power company has problems and your lights in your house look yellow and the fans slow way down. just keep putting in bigger or smaller resistors until the desired speed is reached. should work. same thing they use in windshield wiper motors and a/c and heater blower motors in you vehicle.
Halverson Vote Harvesting
"A different kind of harvest"
halvoteharvesting
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm

I use an old dash light dimmer switch as a rheostat when running my Mojo off a 12v deep cycle battery. Runs a long time on a charge but also has the advantage of being able to speed the wings back up to snuff to finish a hunt, or two, when the battery is finally fading.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Gizzle86 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 pm

My neighbor has his hard wired to a 12volt car battery as well he doesn't use variable speed controllers and they smash birds it doesn't seem to spin too much faster. I was thinking of doing the same thing just buy 10 of them and I'm sure you can get ppl on here to buy some. I will for sure!
Gizzle86
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 am

I'm still in if you buy 10. Some great ideas :thumbsup:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:09 pm

just because they are 12v motors, you can still throw 6v at them and they'll work just fine. they just wont be producing full power.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 pm

halvoteharvesting wrote:With a little bit of knowledge i received in automotive class and electronic motors you should be able to have a 12 volt supply to your 12 volt motor and could control how fast it would turn by using differnt resistors inline with your power supply. put 10 ohms (just an example) of resistance in your 12 volt supply and the motor should drag down a little due to lack of the full power supply. Will still have 12 volts, but it will cut back on the amps going to the motor. Its like when the power company has problems and your lights in your house look yellow and the fans slow way down. just keep putting in bigger or smaller resistors until the desired speed is reached. should work. same thing they use in windshield wiper motors and a/c and heater blower motors in you vehicle.

why not just get a potentiometer/ speed control? sounds a heck of a lot easier than buying and doing trial and error.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting