New to field hunting mallards. need more info

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

New to field hunting mallards. need more info

Postby halvoteharvesting » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:42 pm

i have hunted fields for mallards (pretty much the only duck we get in the fields in northern ND) only a couple times and never had great success. I have bought 3 dozen ghg shell mallard decoys and currently have 1 mojo drake mallard. was wondering if there is something i could improve with my decoy spread that would maybe help finish more birds for closer shots. Have a buddy who does well with about 10 dozen ghg full body mallards, but i don't have that kind of cash. Need some help how to improve my odds without breaking the bank.
Halverson Vote Harvesting
"A different kind of harvest"
halvoteharvesting
hunter

Re: New to field hunting mallards. need more info

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Goose decoys (shells).............. They will give you more bang for you buck on geese than duck decoys will.. With the excption of early goose season, I have rarely hunted geese and not had duck pour into the decoys.
Click to play video....

I scouted this field 4 times and never saw a duck on it until this day. I estimate there were 500 duck that landed in my decoys and season wasn't open yet.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tilley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:42 am

Fantastic video!
tilley
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:15 am

Get on the x or under the flightline, hide good, and don't gopher hole your head in and out of the blind. Goose decoys really help, but later in the season, an all duck spread can be better. Add a spinner or two. Calling can flare them out quicker than a white ass in the sunlight, so give them just enough to keep working in.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tbossart » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Get stakes for your shells to add movment. You could get some cheaper wind socks to help add even more motion into your spread. And get more shells and add some Big Feet canadians, even just four, to conceal your blinds. You can look at 3/4 full body motion decoys they are bit cheaper. You can also check Ebay or your local Craigs list as guys will dump decoys if they upgrade or quite hunting...I know sounds crazy but apparently some guys tire of this amazing sport. Being really good at concealment will help. A robo duck or two wil help as well. If cost is a consideration, there are kits that will modify a shell into a spinner...just keep them lower to the ground for best results. The ducks like motion in the field. You also need to realy really scout well. Spend the time to find smaller fields located with lots of passing birds around if you dont have a big spread. This will increase the loners or smaller groups that see your spread and increase your percetnage of looks. If you find the spot the ducks want to be..even if its large field, they will come to your spread in decent numbers. Soucting is the key. That and concelament. Good calling doesnt hurt, but if you are WHERE they want in..you dont have to call at all really.
tbossart
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting