woodies in corn?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

woodies in corn?

Postby washcokiller » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm

I was out teal hunting this evening and say a bunch of woodies landing in the middle of a cut corn field. Is this normal? Im 100% sure there wasn't any water there...
washcokiller
hunter

Re: woodies in corn?

Postby Bob Caygeon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am

Yes its normal. Don't see it all the time but have seen it. Very easy to decoy in a corn field, and you better be ready at legal shooting time because its over quick.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 pm

yup, from a few years of hunting mostly partially cut and flooded corn I see a fair amount of woddies come into corn.a
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Nado » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Love kamikaze corn feed woodducks....but like was mentioned, be ready, they come early and fast. Crazy little guys!!!

Is it opener yet?! :yes:
Nado
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Haven even seen them land in a middle of a lake.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am

Love shooting woodies in fields. They usually show up just before legal shooting time though. One of the first ducks every summer/fall to start feeding in fields.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby bsbritton78 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:49 am

Have shot many woodies in corn fields in NY. They seem to be curious to the decoy spread at first light and have even killed them around 10am just as we were picking up our deeks. Love to shoot em.....
bsbritton78
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 am

When I lived on a farm near Pittsfield, Illinois we primarily raised corn. One of the first years we were there, 1982 I noticed wood ducks building in numbers on the pasture ponds below our house. I went out to watch them one day a couple of weeks before season, just dreaming how much fun opening day was going to be. I think the limit was 2 back then, but don't remember for sure. What I discovered was their food source was corn, the corn that was passing through cattle. The wood ducks were picking whole corn kernels out of cow pies around the pond. Each pond was covered with ducks, hundreds of them, it was my first introduction to the world of staging. The wood ducks were staging just prior to migrating. The windfall I was expecting to find on opening day wasn't what I expected, the ducks were nearly all gone. We still had a few groups of wood ducks on the creek below the house through the entire season, but never any big numbers. We never hunted the ducks near the ponds as it would have been illegal under baiting laws anyway, but did shoot a lot of wood ducks in the creek every year. After that first day of seeing the wood ducks in the cow pies I talked to my boss about it while we were grinding corn for the hogs. I mentioned to him if the corn was passing through the steers whole, they probably weren't getting much nutritional value out of it and we always fed the cattle whole corn. After that day we ran all the feed grain through the grinder/mixer for both hogs and cattle and never had the huge numbers of wood ducks on the ponds the next 4 years we lived there. I grew up in emporia, kansas, columbia, missouri, and southeast kansas and have never seen birds stage like they did in Illinois when i was in my mid 20's, I've never seen it since. I still wonder if the birds were actually staging for migration or they had just figured out an easy food source that went away after we started grinding the corn. Sometimes things are not always as they seem I guess and I may never know whether it was staging or a change in food source. There was still fields of corn everywhere and beaver were constantly dragging stalks into the creek, giving the ducks plenty of corn in the water.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 am

I've shot woodies in corn fields an hour before sunset that were staging/feeding prior to going to roost right after LST. They actually circled the decoys like mallards before coming in. The field was 1/4 mile from the intracoastal where they roosted in the swamps adjacent to the waterway and they were coming on from their loafing/resting areas.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting