Mojo Teal in dry corn fields?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Mojo Teal in dry corn fields?

Postby lil_mason09 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I recently bought a mojo teal for early season, I have always used mallard mojos in fields and was wondering if any of you guys have used mojo teal decoys in your field spread and what your thought are on them. Thanks for any info!
lil_mason09
hunter

Re: Mojo Teal in dry corn fields?

Postby duckdozer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:55 am

You can use dove spinners they dont care about the body its the flash
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:45 pm

It will work fine, but you will not be able to shut it off if a goose comes. Geese hate spinners and will flare off them every time. If you are using a mojo in the field and you are hunting both ducks and geese, you need a remote.
BBK
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:02 pm

BBK wrote:It will work fine, but you will not be able to shut it off if a goose comes. Geese hate spinners and will flare off them every time. If you are using a mojo in the field and you are hunting both ducks and geese, you need a remote.

Or set them directly behind your blind within reach. I do this all the time and it works fine, I use a teal and baby too. I've wondered if doves would work?
ErieAngler
hunter

Re: Re: Mojo Teal in dry corn fields?

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 am

BBK wrote:It will work fine, but you will not be able to shut it off if a goose comes. Geese hate spinners and will flare off them every time. If you are using a mojo in the field and you are hunting both ducks and geese, you need a remote.

Typically geese will shy away from the spinners but it's not always the case.
We shot 5 geese with 4 spinners running yesterday. 2 geese were touching the cornstalks when we called the shot. Had other flocks within range as well, but we were working ducks and passed on the geese.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Re: Re: Mojo Teal in dry corn fields?

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

tornadochaser wrote:

Typically geese will shy away from the spinners but it's not always the case.
We shot 5 geese with 4 spinners running yesterday. 2 geese were touching the cornstalks when we called the shot. Had other flocks within range as well, but we were working ducks and passed on the geese.

How much would you charge for a hunt where you live? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
BBK
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 am

Lol...everybody is doing good on ducks and geese right now in SD. Record numbers and low water have the birds grouped up like it's the middle of november after a canadian snow storm.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Hey BBK...we have spanked the geese this early season. Our group of guys has taken just shy of 300 canadians so far. MOST geese will not like your spinner...but as tornado has said, occasionaly some dont seem to mind. We hunt in central ND....early goose has been excellent and with 15 per day each, doesnt take long to rack'em up. If you come to ND for early season, you wont have any trouble finding land to hunting ..so save yoru money...no need to pay, just plan and do some homework. So far this season, ducks have been really strange...not feeding at all in large numbers in the feilds yet..up north I have herad they are, but not down where I hunt yet....
tbossart
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:55 pm

I talked to some guys that went up for non-res opener. They hunted around devils lake I think, free lancing fields. They shot 135 ducks and 25 geese in 5 days. :eek: I havent seen 135 ducks yet this whole summer.
BBK
hunter

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Yeah, you can 100% free lance so to sepak as the whole state is open unless posted. If ya ask you will get on 80% of the time in my experience. The ducks are pilled up north of ND HWY 2 from what I have heard. We are just now starting to see them where I hunt in larger groups and they are FINALLY moving into the fields. We had roughly 1000 or so mallards coming back to roost in a large slough in the field next to where we were chasing ring necks around on saturday. Foggy and wet...cool to hear those mallards return to the roost and see them comming out of the fog all cupped up and bombing down and in...wicked. Made me wana go find a field...but just had to buckle down and keep shooting pheasants all morning..hahahaha.
tbossart
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting