wisconsin field hunting ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

wisconsin field hunting ducks

Postby take'em! » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

A week or so ago, my boat was stolen. I decided to try and scout some fields for ducks since water is out of the question unless i find a walk in spot. Trying to avoid walk in because they are usually overhunted and skybusted. I have a few field for goose hunting but have never seen a duck anywhere near them. I have driven around trying to find some fields that have ducks and no luck, which brings me to my question. When scouting for fields to hunt for ducks, is it essential to look close to large bodies of water (horicon, sheboygan, large lakes, etc)? I have only been duck hunting 3 or 4 years and only hunted ducks over water. So this is all new territory for me.

I do live close to Lake Michigan ( in Fredonia, north of Port Washington), so should i just drive country roads up and down the shore a mile or two inland watching fields? Any suggestions would be great, as usual, not looking for spots, more of a plan of attack.
take'em!
hunter

Re: wisconsin field hunting ducks

Postby Dbishop311 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Find a roosting or loafing spot. When they fly out to feed follow them. Some times its a mile away sometimes it might be 10. With these warm temps the duck might not be feeding in the fields yet in your area.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:50 am

I seen ducks feeding in a field yesterday. From my experience ducks will hit the same fields year after year depending on crop. I have field that only hold geese and fields that have ducks and geese. I never shoot ducks in the goose only fields. I believe this is simply because there are not any ducks roosting with those geese. As the season goes on field hunting opportunities will increase.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby take'em! » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:23 am

So is field hunting more of a late season thing in my area once the water has started to freeze up?
take'em!
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:26 am

You can definitely kill ducks in a field in October, but you will kill more after the freeze. Ducks don't always use the same fields as the geese. Warning: if you kill mallards and blacks in a field you will never want to hunt any other way. Its the best.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:23 am

take'em! wrote:So is field hunting more of a late season thing in my area once the water has started to freeze up?

Here in Wisconsin its probably still a little early for ducks in fields, but its been a weird season so far everything seems to be 2-3 weeks sooner than last year migration wise. I have been hearing about alot of ducks/geese alone the east coast of Wisconsin. I'l be up in the Port Washington area this weekend goose hunting only a couple miles away lake Michigan and usually see ducks in the field I hunt so I can report back this weekend.

But for the most part as far as ducks go in fields, the last few weeks of season are usually the best. Its those big northern ducks that like feeding in fields.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby take'em! » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 am

If you dont mind reporting back that would be great! I know i always see a ton of mallards roosting in the bay and marina area of Port Washington. Thanks for the input everyone!
take'em!
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:33 am

take'em! wrote:If you dont mind reporting back that would be great! I know i always see a ton of mallards roosting in the bay and marina area of Port Washington. Thanks for the input everyone!

Yeah will do, just hoping the geese will keep using the field till saturday morning. They've been there since tuesday.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting