Will the birds be back?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Will the birds be back?

Postby cn44 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Ok, here's my scenario that happened tonight. I was scouting a field I am planning on hunting in the morning and about 4:30-5:00 a pickup comes flying past me and whips into this field I was going to hunt. Gets accross the field and sets up right on the edge of the field and a slough (slough is state land field is not). Birds were coming and wanting to land in the field but just didn't commit and touch down (hovered just feet above ground) and flew off. Happened with a few flocks then the guys on the field edge, probably less than 100 yards from where I was planning on setting up, start taking cracks at the ducks and shot quite a few.

So, my question is: with them being shot at tonight in this area will they be back?

They were coming from fairly far away so I don't think they were roosting on the slough. I know definative yes or no isn't for sure but some insight on whether or not you would still set up would be helpful. I am still planning on it but if anyone has experienced this and it was a complete bust I'd also like to hear.

Thanks
cn44
hunter

Re: Will the birds be back?

Postby cn44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am

Well, there were a few flocks that came in this morning but I don't think the birds from last night were back. The birds that came in today were only singles and doubles then one flock of about 20. I only got one nice drake mallard and missed the rest of the morning. If I could shoot worth a hoot I would have limited out in 25 minutes.
cn44
hunter

Re: Will the birds be back?

Postby tbossart » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:20 pm

As a rule, I wont hunt if anyone shot up my feed....too "if'y"...but sounds like you had your chances..which is all ya want. I dotn even like to spoke the birds off that spot, unless its early season..thenI am nto so concerned. In fact, sometimes i will purposely trya nd gentle spoke them to see if the take off and leave, jump off and come right back. of if the simply lift off and fly a few yards and drop back down. When the just nudge up then drop right back in...tells me they really like that spot...but I only do that early.
tbossart
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting