Trophy?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Trophy?

Postby RickFoster » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:42 pm

I shot a banded wood duck this morning in Michigan and am thinking about having it mounted. Are banded wood ducks very popular? I think mallards are banded more regularly but not sure.
RickFoster
Newb

Trophy?

Postby mike_b » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 pm

RickFoster wrote:I shot a banded wood duck this morning in Michigan and am thinking about having it mounted. Are banded wood ducks very popular? I think mallards are banded more regularly but not sure.

Not sure what you did but in southern Ohio the wood ducks I was shooting still had lots of pin feathers. I shot a banded one in early season this year.
mike_b
hunter

Re: Trophy?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:38 pm

RickFoster wrote:I shot a banded wood duck this morning in Michigan and am thinking about having it mounted. Are banded wood ducks very popular? I think mallards are banded more regularly but not sure.

If its in full plumage mount that sucker. IMO a wood duck period is a trophy worth mounting.
Last edited by The Duck Hammer on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:18 pm

I honestly would not care if I don't shoot another one for years. They are everywhere up here.

As I understand it, they are pretty easy birds to band and even easier to recapture so they make good study birds.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I shot a banded woody about 5-6 years ago in Central Illionis. One of the first ducks I ever shot, I didn't realize how rare a banded bird was at the time. If I could do it all over again I would of got it mounted with the band, but it sits on my lanyard and still has the same meaning to me as it would sitting on my wall I guess.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Here is a stat to chew on. Roughly 3.1 million leg bands have been reported to date. That is pretty small considering that since 1904 about 58 million birds have been banded in North America. Both of these numbers represent hundreds of different species of birds.
Odds of shooting a waterfowl that is banded is approximately 1/200 or so, this varies every year, depending on how many waterfowl were banded.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 am

if its a trophy to you, mount it. thats all that matters
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 pm

B.Hud wrote:if its a trophy to you, mount it. thats all that matters

Great way to put it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 am

I hunt in louisiana and i've killed more banded woodies than anything else but i hear that woodies are rare everywhere else. I get tired of seeing woodies. They fly early here and i let em light and wait for the bigger ducks. I've been in flooded timber standing by a tree and had 30 woodies swimming all around me if u be still they won't see you. One time one got close enough and I grabbed it. If anyone wants to you can come shoot woodies with me where I live if I can go shoot ducks or geese with you where you live.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Mort » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Just mount it
Mort
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting