Dry Cornfield hunt

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Dry Cornfield hunt

Postby bugle freak » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Do you all have good success hunting duck in a dry cornfield? There are many ponds and a river in the area of the fields of corn, but I only have permission on the corn fields.
bugle freak
hunter

Re: Dry Cornfield hunt

Postby luie b » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Yes, I actually do better decoying ducks in the corn than on ponds for some reason. It helps to have a mojo duck or some motion in the field spread though. I like to use goose decoys out in the field, too so I can shoot geese and ducks but you can also use your water duck decoys in the spread. Mojos are like crack to ducks in fields and they work probably 10x better on dry land than on water.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 am

I love shooting greenheads in corn. Probably fastest action around and almost limits everytime. I only field hunt ducks when they have been in the field in large numbers though. In my area field hunting is only good when brutally cold and rivers about 90 percent froze. One good thing about field hunting in the cold is it is a 10am to 3 pm hunt.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby klabrel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Corn is crack to waterfowl. Wet or dry, the birds will use it. Having a robo is pretty much a must for field hunting ducks
klabrel
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting