Duck Hunting Forum banner

Duck field decoys

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  teamoutlaw 
#1 ·
Is there any place I can get some mallard shells for the field? Also do you think floating decoys would work in a field?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's an idea if you want to try it. It's something I made several years ago to be able to use my floaters for field decoys. It's simple and it works. I simply bent a heavy steel wire ( about 9 gauge, the wire that is used to hold political signs) into a stand that the keel of the floater would slide into. The double bend at the top (I used a vise with a bolt tightened in it to bend the wire around) gave a support for the decoy to rest on and the bend held the keel tight. (You can squeeze the bends tighter with your hand to adjust the tightness) I even went to the extreme and slid a couple of pieces of orange pneumatic hose, that I drilled a hole thru, up and over the wire and up to the support platform to resemble mallard legs. (The legs of the stand are vertical and the double bends are horizontal to the ground)
There are several postings on floater to field mallards on the forum, just seach for them.
Here's a couple of pics and the rest of the pictures are on photobucket:

004.JPG

http://s766.beta.photobucket.com/user/tenfingergrip/library/Floater to Field decoy stands

Attachments

#4 ·
You do not need field duck decoys, Use honkers and a mojo and your set.

Yes you can use floaters, they work better when there is snow so you can stuff the keel and they dont set on one side or the other. You can also look into pontoon floaters. You could use them for both dry and wet hunting.

#5 ·
tenfingergrip said:
Here's an idea if you want to try it. It's something I made several years ago to be able to use my floaters for field decoys. It's simple and it works. I simply bent a heavy steel wire ( about 9 gauge, the wire that is used to hold political signs) into a stand that the keel of the floater would slide into. The double bend at the top (I used a vise with a bolt tightened in it to bend the wire around) gave a support for the decoy to rest on and the bend held the keel tight. (You can squeeze the bends tighter with your hand to adjust the tightness) I even went to the extreme and slid a couple of pieces of orange pneumatic hose, that I drilled a hole thru, up and over the wire and up to the support platform to resemble mallard legs. (The legs of the stand are vertical and the double bends are horizontal to the ground)
There are several postings on floater to field mallards on the forum, just seach for them.
Here's a couple of pics and the rest of the pictures are on photobucket:

http://s766.beta.photobucket.com/user/tenfingergrip/library/Floater to Field decoy stands

Don't you want motion on your decoys instead of them just standing there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.