today's hunt

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

today's hunt

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:20 pm

My buddy and I hunted a cornfield today, and we could not get the ducks to finish. They would hit 75 yards and gain altitude or swing wide. We moved the blinds out of the decoys, changed the spread, added more stubble to the blinds, moved the blinds again, and these ducks acted the same way every time.
Wx Conditions were, overcast, freezing rain, on top of fresh snow. The only thing we could think of was our blinds didn't have a layer of snow over them like the rest of the ground. We then sprayed fake snow on the blinds and this seemed to help but not much. We could decoy geese in no problem, but the ducks wouldn't finish, we pulled them in but lost them every time. I thought that maybe the ice on the decoys? But there was no sun making a glare on them. Anybody have any helpful hints?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Re: today's hunt

Postby loner » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:05 pm

did you have any mojo's out?
loner
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm

we tried a mojo at the end of the hunt. no luck with that either...
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 pm

What all did you have in your spread? Just goose decoys or ducks, too? If you had duck decoys how did you set them?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 am

You're over thinking it. They seen your blinds. If I have trouble with concealment, I try to put a bunch of bigfoots around the blinds, even if im only duck hunting and try to get your birds in the first half hour. The snow spray works good but needs to be warm and you need about two cans per blind. With poor concealment, if birds circle you its over. You may need to shoot on the first pass if its reasonable. Hope this helps and good luck .
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Ya listen to Bob. He was there and saw everything. It couldve been a number of things. Call shy, decoy shy, shy. Not hidden, too many or not enough decoys. Ice on decoys, calling, no calling. It is a guessing game. One day the birds may eat it up and the next not want anything to do with you. All about being in the right place at the right time.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:02 am

You didn't even offer advice D.B!!! Your advise: " sometimes you win sometimes you don't". Real helpful. Do you give up on everything in life or just hunting?
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

well we are gonna try it again tomorrow. going to set up on the edge of the field in some long grass and hope we can suck the birds over to the edge. forecast is for sun. no snow or ice to fight so we won't have to fight with that. birds might be gone soon so this might be it for the season....
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Another thing that helped us this past weekend sucking ducks into a fence row on the egdge of the cornfield we were hunting is we did very light calling especially once the ducks were inside 200 yards. So I would take it easy on the calling because we observed a lot of live ducks working corn and tried stalking a group and they don't do a lot of talking in the corn fields just some real simple single quacks and soft greeting calls.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting