What to look for?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What to look for?

Postby MOhunter13 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 pm

What do yall look for in a dry field for duck hunting? I hunt in SW Missouri and around here we have quite a few crop fields but i am just unsure of what makes a field good? I have never field hunted, always hunted ponds,rivers and small lakes but i would LOVE to field hunt as i have heard its even better. Anyways Can someone fill me in on what to look for and what makes a field good for ducks/geese? :help:
    Remington 870 Express 20 Gauge=$400
    Duck calls=$120
    Waders=$100
    Shells=$15
    Grand Total= 1,000,000,000 DEAD DUCKS
MOhunter13
hunter

Re: What to look for?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Just like geese you want to find a field they are using. What fields they use is really a regional thing. Here it is small grains, corn and occassionally beans. Flooded fields are a bonus.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 pm

I look for fields with ducks in them or over them.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 am

I tend to find that birds go into the same field every year. Mark these fields and try to get on them. However areas with lots of migrators are not like this Im assuming. The easiest way I have found to do it is sit on the roost and follow them saves a lot of gas money just make sure ur looking out for cops when ur following them.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby klabrel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:33 pm

knowing where the birds roost is huge in finding birds working fields. I try to find a vantage point along the roost and will sit and watch what direction they head. Sometimes following them from roost to the field can be tough. If you can, that's the best way to find the X. If you cannot follow them all the way to the field, monitor their flight path. Geese and late season mallards will use the same path every day (at least out here). If you cannot hunt the field their going to, setup somewhere along their flight path...I've had some great days running traffic. Scout, scout, scout. :beer:
klabrel
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:15 am

In my area, it is corn corn corn. Rarely ever see them in anything else except possibly geese in alfalfa in late summer. Around here the ducks follow the geese, and the geese are in corn. If you are lucky enough to find a harvested pea field near the river or one of the large marshes, then that is a money spot for mallards.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Easy answer to your question. You look for the field the ducks are using. It is almost always corn and when you set up make sure you are concealed completely. Mallards circle a time or two before dive bombing.
skybusterbob
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting