Video of rice field hunting in southeast Missouri

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Video of rice field hunting in southeast Missouri

Postby Mallard mania » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Here is a video you might enjoy of hunting a rice field in southeast Missouri. Hunting out of a heated pit in a rice field is the best way to hunt there is! Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDKGIM4JqAA
Mallard mania
hunter

Re: Video of rice field hunting in southeast Missouri

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am

Oh boy, watching a dog retrieve a duck, how original!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Jimbuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for sharing the video. Don't worry about nancy negative over there. :rolleyes:
Jimbuck
hunter

Postby Mallard mania » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:50 pm

You know I was going to reply something negative and I apologize! I am sorry you did not like my video Blackfoot. I hope you enjoy the next one I post better.

Matthew 15 11 It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth.”
Mallard mania
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 am

MM, my perception when viewing your video was to see a large flock of greenheads hitting a rice field as advertised, what I saw was completely different, from my perspective.
Having said that, I did notice many poles ( which I believe were used for spinners) and what looked to be a tornado type motion machine in the video, your spread set up along with all the motion devices was very interesting to me as we never see anything this elaborate in our region. I've been fowling for a long,long time, and very welling to learn new techniques for bettering my results, hence why I watch videos posted up by members.

Keep the videos coming as well as reading the Good Book! :thumbsup:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Mallard mania » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:37 pm

BF, sorry for giving you the wrong perception from my title. The poles are for spinners but they tend to flare our late season ducks. The following weekend we put out the spinners and they were definitely flaring them off, once we pulled the spinners they were lighting in the decoys. Early season ducks love them but the last couple weeks of the season as far south as we are the ducks have become educated. The pit is in the middle of a 120 acre flooded rice field and we have a similar set of decoys behind the pit. Unfortunately I do not have a picture or video of the back of the blind. We do change our shooting lane depending on the wind direction. The tornado tree I am not sold on different length of single poles placed at the same position as the tree is cheaper and just as effective. Most permanent pits and blinds in this region use a similar set up. What region do you hunt?
God Bless and Great Hunting :thumbsup: :

John 12-50 And I know his instructions lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say!"
Mallard mania
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 am

I viewed your video again which has raised a few questions? 1) is that private land? 2) when the dog returns to the pit with the bird a member of your group has what looks like a rake, what's the purpose for it?

I live and hunt in New Mexico, which is to say we understand educated birds. Once our birds have traveled the gauntlet from Canada, Montana, Wyoming & Colorado, it can be difficult, but doable. Public land hunting is also extremely competitive and factor in years of drought conditions has created the perfect strom for weekly MMA matches at local WMA's, better get there early or be willing to walk the extra mile.
Late season birds are challenging for many different reasons, which is why I viewed your video to get some ideas for what others may be doing. I do however have a few suggestion for you, you mentioned that others in your area use similar set up's, would it not be better making your spread look unique? Maybe go with a smaller spread or something I do is add Canada goose floaters and full body decoys as confidence decoys, I've even just put out goose decoys without any duck decoys at all, and only call with a goose call at times this has proven to be deadly. Try changing things up, as hunter we often get stuck in the rut of doing the same old thing with the same old results.

Timothy 3:16 My Word Will Teach You What Is True.
You seem tobe a reading man, get The Harbinger, short but sweet!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Mallard mania » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:30 pm

BF yes we are hunting private land. I feel your pain when it comes to WMA's we have a draw system and we can have up to a 110 parties show up for 26 spots. The rake is actualy a magnet to pick up empty hulls that are floating that way you don't have to get your gloves wet picking them up out of the water. You can buy them at the local lumber yard for cheap.
I guess this video does not show them but we have full body duck decoys on top of the pit and we have speck goose floaters on the outside edge of the duck decoys. We put out about 3 dozen full body snow goose decoys on the levee behind the pit. We have a couple great blue heron decoys for confidence not sure about how effective they are? I like the idea of just goose calling at times I am going to give that a try next year. We have gone from as small a spread as a dozen decoys to the 400 that we had out during the video and bigger is better! LOL! We have all the pipes in the ground so we can change around the Mojo's from front to back or left to right depending on the wind and the time of the year!
I was actually raised in northwest Arkansas and we would put out 800 to 1000 decoys in one field and just change the shooting lanes every day. We are very fortunate that we do not have the water shortage that have have to contend with we can drop or raise our water level overnight by either taking out boards in the levy or turning on the pumps.

Job 39:29 From there it hunts its prey, keeping watch with piercing eyes.
Mallard mania
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 pm

MM, was that a "GoPro on the head of last guy in the video? Are your fields razor leveled? Did the geese run down the rice. That field looks a lot like ours. But ours is 12 to 24" deep. Plus the tractor ruts. What part of Mo you in. the boot heel? Talk about late season ducks, come south about 150 miles. What birds we get, Cannon and Byers missed. Hey, thats good, I'd rather have thier misses than none at all. :lol3:
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby Mallard mania » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 pm

HS it is a GoPro that he is wearing, he gets better video then I do. I have been using my iphone to shoot video and it is hard to keep from shaking. We are just southwest of Sikeston Missouri. it is a precision grade field between 18" and 24" deep. We rolled the area around the pit then the geese took care of the rest of the rice stubble, it doesn't take them long once they move into the area!

Proverbs 22 9 Blessed are those who are generous, because they feed the poor.

So share your harvest!
Mallard mania
hunter

Postby Mallard mania » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 pm

If you are interested here is a video from my brothers GoPro it shows a good shot of us killing 5 pintails out of a big group. It also has a good shot of the pit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Vxoue9_7I
Mallard mania
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Mallard mania wrote:If you are interested here is a video from my brothers GoPro it shows a good shot of us killing 5 pintails out of a big group. It also has a good shot of the pit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Vxoue9_7I

I just got a go pro. I need to figure out how to use it. I opened the box loaded the updates and charged it but that is about it for now.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby feather_duster40 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 am

What part of Missouri you in MM?
"If the almighty says it's alright to kill 'em then that's who I'm going with,regardless of what anybody else says"
feather_duster40
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting