What to plant??

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What to plant??

Postby duck_pirate » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 pm

I have an opportunity to lease a flooded crp field from a friend that has been hunting it the past few years. He has not been doing to well there because there are rice fields that are 400-500 yards away that attract most of the birds. The farmer told me he would plow it up this summer if I wanted to plant it. What would be the best thing to plant here?
Attachments
photo (8).JPG
duck_pirate
hunter

Re: What to plant??

Postby mdycrk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:24 pm

How deep does the water get?
To me, corn is king. They'll take that over most anything...at least where we're at. If the water isn't deep enough for corn, I'd look at different millets, proso, brown top, jap, and probably mix in some WGF sorghum with it. Usually they all do pretty well.
mdycrk
hunter

Re: What to plant??

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Corn, corn, corn. Ducks will jump up to peck it off the ear. There are several varieties that have the ears that form low on the stalk which are better for impoundment planting. A couple of varieties I'm familiar with are DeKalb's 65-19 & 68-03.
If you want to plant rice, it's best if you can flood it slightly shortly after it gets about 6 inches tall. That will obviously irrigate it and keep the weeds out.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting