Rice vs Beans

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Rice vs Beans

Postby feather_duster40 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 am

I am new to field hunting and I have the opportunity to lease a pit in SE Missouri for next season. There are 2 pits available one in rice and one in beans. Can anyone off some pros and cons of one vs the other?
"If the almighty says it's alright to kill 'em then that's who I'm going with,regardless of what anybody else says"
feather_duster40
hunter

Re: Rice vs Beans

Postby mdycrk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Since nobody else is answering I'll give you my thoughts...
From what I've heard beans rot very quickly, and aren't a "preferred" source of food for ducks. Apparently they can turn into almost concrete if they get compacted in the crop. Now, with that being said, we've been killing ducks over beans for a couple years. Kinda hard to make a choice there because I would expect both to be good, if the birds show up. Good luck!
mdycrk
hunter

Postby TonkaDuk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:01 am

Have hunted both for years, but would take rice over beans. Pits are hard to conceal in beans. Most fields I have been in, the beans look like a lake with a metal box sticking out. Now some farmers might leave more stubble than others...but can't go wrong with rice.
I would check with lessor to see who had it last year and contact them to ask how hunting was.
If he doesn't cough it up, I would look somewhere else. Lots of places to hunt and lots of people out there to screw out of staters!
TonkaDuk
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:32 pm

always rice over beans....but usually farmers rotate these two crops every other year to prevent red rice, a non prefered crop.
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby duckbones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Past field production matters a lot more than what is planted in the field. A good field will produce year in and year out. Rice lasts a bit longer underwater. However, after about 30 days, they are both rotten and the birds are feeding on invertebrates.
duckbones
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:36 pm

rice IMO, most guys here around I-70 combine the beans so low you've got 2-3in of stuble in high spots, not to mention today's combines make a much more clean sweep and dont lose near as much crop... so less food in the beans.

from what I've seen birds will only use a partially flooded bean field for a few days, then never again. Rice hold birds a lot longer.... it's what we planted in our private duck lake a few years ago and that yielded great results.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:25 am

I cook the beans low and slow with some onion and maybe a ham hock in it.

When they are good and cooked, I serve them over rice with some hot sauce and corn bread on the side.
TomKat
Dorothy

Return to Field Duck Hunting