How to set up?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

How to set up?

Postby teal12 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 am

I am fairly new to waterfowl hunting but I recently got Adela for 16 full body goose 12 goose shells 8 floater geese 30 floater mallards 2 1/2 dozen full body mallards mojo teal and 2 baby mojo mallards as wells as several teal and wood duck decoys. I'd like to try field hunting this season but I'm not sure how to use these decoys in a set up. Ill be hunting picked corn and beans as well as maybe some wheat. Any advice on how to put these decoys out using all or part of them would be great. Do diver ducks ever venture to fields to feed as I have about 18 blue bills and buffer heads also. Thanks.
teal12
hunter

Re: How to set up?

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:37 am

i wouldn't bother with the diver dekes in a field. If you can get them all out to your field, I'd bring all the goose decoys, at least a dozen duck full bodies, and one of the mojos. Just kick out a divot for the keels on your floaters, or use something from the field underneath to keep them level. I'd put the geese in groups of 4-6, wouldn't worry about a J or U shape though. With 30 dekes birds working you will have plenty of room to land. Ducks will fly over geese to land but usually geese won't land over ducks, so put the ducks and mojo upwind of the geese or off to one side. I don't know if its absolutely required, or even if its true, but I've read ducks tend to feed more inline with the rows so you should set them up in lines where geese you can just kind of plop down. That's just what I would do to start, but if you can find birds in a field around you they'll tell you more than me. Make your spread look as much like what you're seeing locally as you can is always the best advice
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm

DCVR Outdoor Products makes a stake that you can buy to convert your floating duck or goose decoys into field decoys. I would suggest getting some of those for your floaters :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby teal12 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I have actually made some out of hay rake teeth so I plan to use them but the only floating decoys I have are with their head in an uprite position would this look to unnatural in a field or should I invest in some floaters in feeding or resting positions?
teal12
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:26 am

is there a distinct long neck on them, like 6-7" tall? If so I'd use those sparingly as too many sentry/lookers can make your flock look nervous. Actually keeping those off the stakes and lower to the ground might be the better option too. If they are short neck uprights, I think you're fine using them on the stakes you made or on the ground. Even when geese are taking a load off they'll pick their head up and look around once in a while
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:26 am

Take goose decoys and spinners to field that had ducks in it day before, set decoys out, place spinners over the duck poop,, hide, wait, shoot ducks, get out, try again next day

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby teal12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks. All of my goose floaters have their heads way up so I may leave them at home. But I can set out my shell decoys and full body goose decoys with my spinners and ducks. Thanks for the input.
teal12
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 pm

CLICK TO GET THE FULL PICTURE

Last edited by clymerfowler on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Don't feel like you have to leave all the floaters at home. It is still a good idea to have some sentry decoys but I'm with Omaha on this one. I feel like too many can make them a little jumpy.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby teal12 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 am

Okay thanks. Another thing is there any way to put my shell decoys on a stake so they add a little motion or is motion bad for goose hunting?
teal12
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:11 am

yes you can. i have used old arrows ad field point for stakes . cut the arrow to length. add a second insert. put a field into in the bottom to go into the ground the put the other end into your decoy and screw the field point in through the hole into the shaft. can post pics if you want.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting