GHG fullbody field decoys in 3ft of water

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

GHG fullbody field decoys in 3ft of water

Postby loon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:46 am

I know I saw this on one of the hunting shows but have any of you made longer stakes to use your full bodies in Shallowater? If so what did you use PVC hardwood Dowels rebar? On the show I saw I think they just stuck the field stakes into a piece of PVC . The set of decoys I have did not come with the field stakes just the metal stands. I'm sure I can come up with something but I thought if one of you and already figured this out I would shorten the learning curve thanks
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: GHG fullbody field decoys in 3ft of water

Postby anatidaephobic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 am

I usually find a cane patch and cut a bunch of cane in whatever length i feel like im gonna need. I try to cut them a little long that way if i need to trim them with a pocket knife i can or just shove them a little deeper in the mud. just make sure that the diameter of the cane that fits into the decoy is about the same size as the top of your base stakes that came with your decoys. if the diameter is too big it will cause your decoy to lean to one side instead of sitting upright and it wont spin around as well when the wind hits it. cane is usually free and it doesnt hurt to leave it in place in case you want to hunt the same spot more than once.
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 am

Mine came with the pointed stakes, but I think you can buy them through Cabela's.

I used pvc pipe in 1/2 inch and 1 inch diameter, cut to about 36 inches in length with an angle cut for the bottom. The place we hunt has a really soft mud bottom so the pvc needs to be longer than you might think. I stuck a piece of wood dowel in the angled end and cut that off on the same angle. That way you won't get water and mud in the pvc. I also cut a notch in the decoy end of the pvc, which keeps the decoy from turning. There is never enough wind in the woods we hunt to move the decoys anyway and it makes it a little harder for the stake to fall out when you pick up the decoy.

They look very realistic when you sink the pvc deep enough that the decoy looks like it's standing in the water.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 pm

I found metal and fiberglass fence posts that both look like the right diameter about 3ft long for $1.79 each
Thanks for the help
loon
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:17 am

If that doesn't work, 1/2" metal conduit cut to length is the ticket. Not flimsy like 1/2 pvc and less bulky and easier to drive into the bottom than more rigid pvc. Just drop the FB's stake in the top of the conduit and put the decoy on that.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby loon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't have the stakes for this batch just the metal stands . I'm looking forward to trying them I counted 32 mallards and 2 bills on the bay in front of my house!
loon
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Go with conduit trust me if it looks like you live in a part of the country that gets cold and when it does you need the metal pole to be able to drive it far enough into the ground to work. Even if the water isn't froze the ground under water cash be real firm. Then just drill and bolt on 4" long 1/4" bolt to use the motion system on a metal pole. This can be deadly technique on pressured birds
Normmcclean
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting