little help in the field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

little help in the field

Postby iowa-bob » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 pm

I am going to NoDak in a couple of weeks for my first experience with field hunting. I have the equipment, two spinners, snow goose shells, pleney of goose shells and full bodies and I am going to get two dozen mallard shells. What does the spread need to look like. Do you put the dark geese around the layout blinds and the ducks and spinners in front with the snow geese behind. Is two dozen mallard shells enough. If not I am going to fill in with some floaters. Thanks for the help, I am looking forward to the trip.
iowa-bob
hunter

Postby athomeruddy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:53 pm

sounds like a sweet trip good luck.
As a rule of thumb I stick the honkers seperate downwind with the snows and ducks up wind a hair. Depends where your blind is set in your setup. Leave a landing zone in the section of birds your targetting most, ive never had a prob mixing ducks and snows together.
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:11 pm

I havent hunted snows before but I just wanted to say good luck on your trip :salude:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

field hunt

Postby iowa-bob » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:34 am

I should have clarified. We will be going after ducks, but I have heard a few snow geese are a good attention getter. Thanks for the replies.
iowa-bob
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 am

Just to let you know, be prepaired to shot some snows. There are some people already shotting snows in South Dakota and I've read on other boards people are shotting a good number of snows up in ND. Setting up your spread, put your honker decoys around your blinds put the snow geese and duck decoys behind you or upwind of your goose decoys. Leave landing areas for both. Hope this helps. And good luck. Phil
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Re: field hunt

Postby Admin2 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:19 am

iowa-bob wrote:I should have clarified. We will be going after ducks, but I have heard a few snow geese are a good attention getter. Thanks for the replies.

Ducks love Snow decoys in the field :thumbsup:

Keep the Snows, Ducks and dark geese(Canada's) seperate from each other. They still can be next to each other, but do not intermix them.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Billblue » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:13 pm

We have hunted ND and Manitoba for snows only and shot limeis of ducks without duck decoys.

Duck decoys won't hurt,but ducks do like white geese.
Billblue
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting