Keeping Pit Dry

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Keeping Pit Dry

Postby Cypress_Bend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 am

Ok our group is new to hunting out of a pit. I understand that there will be water that will get in the pit throughout the season. the question is what is the easiest way to keep the pit floor relatively dry so that if you drop gloves or shells they will not be in 3" of water. I am thinking some kind of false floor with a 12 volt bilge pump. to pump water out.

How would you build the false floor and how would you keep the pump from freezing when weather turns cold???
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Re: Keeping Pit Dry

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:19 am

What's the walls and bottom of the pit made of? Will you have a cover. Obviously, a top cover is the best way to keep excess water out. Then, it's a matter of how much water gets in the bottom. A wooden rack in the bottom will help, but keep in mind it will float on the water in the pit. If there won't be a whole lot of water in the bottom, auto supply houses and tractor supply sells a hand siphon pump that you could use. A 500 gal/hr bilge pump with a 12v sealed lead acid battery would be enough for a small pumping job. I think the pump may lift the water 6 feet to discharge out the top of the blind. You would need to check the specs. You could easily carry the pump and battery with you to keep it from freezing up. I've used both methods as well as the old standby bucket method. My "pit" blinds are actually in an impoundment and are square 1000 gallon septic tanks.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:32 am

You could make removable panels out of angle iron and expanded steel. I'd just bolt the bilge pump to a metal plate to help it stay upright/level. That way you can just drop it into an access hole for pumping and pull it out when you leave.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby staticarc » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Hopefully your pit is not a 4 ft deep one like mine. Too shallow to install a false bottom.
Luckily mine is slightly cock-eyed and all the water runs to one corner where the bilge is strapped to a block .
I still end up standing in 1/4 inch of water while everyone else is high and dry.
Doesn't take long for all that stagnant water, mouse pee and tobacco spit to create a nice smell .
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 am

We bury our pits at a slight angle to facilitate bailing and put in false floors with a low side section designed to be easily lifted for bailing. Note that I keep saying "bailing," rather than a bilge pump, because bailing scoops don't clog with grass and other debris like pumps do.

(We don't put lids on our blinds, except between seasons, because removing and replacing them on hunt days plays hell on the blind's cover.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Our pit has a false floor and we have never had any issues with water. We have a sump pump in the blind too, but I don't think it has ever ran since it was installed 2 years ago.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm

wooden/ false floor and a small bilge pump has worked well for my buddies pit as his place. we've seen a foot deep water in it during the summer one time, and it pumped the pit dry fairly quick. and its a 4-man pit.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:19 am

Bartender mats...
http://www.katom.com/094-KM1100.html?zm ... ID=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CJfn9uuqo7sCFYQ7OgodnCYAeQ
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby GIjake » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 am

Google WWI grenade sump. It sounds a bit off the wall but those SOB spent a lot of times in trenches and wet so they got good and designing em. We got a few pits that follow that idea back home in OK and it does well. Also try to set the ground up around you so you don't catch run off from the fields.
GIjake
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting