can anyone help

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

can anyone help

Postby give em 3 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:24 pm

I am just getting into field hunting for ducks and due to my location and the way roads are around here, scouting is incredibly difficult. the marsh I hunt usually holds several hundred ducks at night and they always leave in the same direction. there is a corn field that will be picked by the end of the week about a quarter mile in the direction they go. if I were to set up there even if that wasnt the field of choice for the ducks what are my odds of getting some to decoy?? any help would be great.
aim small miss small

1648 jon 32 PD
give em 3
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Fairly good I would think if you had decoys out, are well hidden and are a good caller. It is called running "traffic" on them, basically setting up between the roost and the feed field and is mostly used for hunting geese, but also does work for ducks too. Hunting the actual field they are feeding in is best, but not always possible, so guys run traffic on them instead.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby gone winchester » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:47 pm

If they fly out of the marsh in smaller flocks it will be easier to lure them in. The larger flocks youll see a few birds come down and lock up or if there nnot being hunted hard they might all just lock up and come in, you never know.....I would be out there trying my luck from what you have said. Youll never know if you dont try. :thumbsup:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Return to Field Duck Hunting