field hunting ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

field hunting ducks

Postby drake23 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:46 pm

ok heres the deal i got this swamp i hunt but no dog and its pretty thick in there when tryin to find a bird so i was thinkg of hunting the field right beside it that borders the swamp i was wondering how this might play out and any tacics that might help i only have a handfull of floater deeks would they even be worth setting up in the field or maybe in the swamp in a hole as close to the swamp as possible? Oh yah moslty hunting mallards too??
drake23
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:45 pm

The floaters will do, just make sure they are all upright and not tipped over from the keel. The problem with floaters in a field though is their low profile, they are really tough to see. It's almost a necessity to have some form of spinning wing deek. You didn't say you had any, but I'll throw this in anyways, if you have any Canada geese deeks throw them out too, their large size will help out with the visibility problem and ducks don't seem to mind them at all
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gandergitter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:23 am

Keep an eye on the wind, if you set up on the proper side, you may get more passing shots than decoying birds. If you hunt an open field take the time to hide well enough. A lay out blind may work well, and Ducks unlimited mag. had a good article recently on a home made lay out made from an old lounge chair.
" A big mouth dont make a big man...."
John Wayne- The Cowboys
gandergitter
hunter

Postby drake23 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:53 am

yah i am limited to one side of the field because it is at an area were public land meets private i am not really 100 percent shure were the line is because crown land is not marked up here and i dont wanna make any enemies in my new favorite swamp so i am going to stay on the edge of the swamp bordering the swamp!
drake23
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting