Lazer leveled rice fields?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Lazer leveled rice fields?

Postby mgthunter » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:06 pm

Does anybody know anything about Lazer Leveled Rice fields?

I am talking with a farmer who has lazer leveled rice fields.

It's like no rice field I have seen. No levees running through the fields just one big open area (40ac).

I'm not a farmer so I don't know anything about it. or if this would be good for hunting or not.

My concern is blind placement & he has rolled the stubble into hay bails. I was told by one of the other hunters it has to do w/ the lazer level.

Anybody know the in's and out's of this? or hunted on fields like this?
mgthunter
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:16 am

Laser leveling has been in use around some Texas rice fields for a few years. It is used to ensure more even irrigation, like the front of the field having 9 inches of water and the back having 12.

Most non-irrigated or difficult to irrigate locations benefit from this as it reduces the amount of water lost/wasted when the field is manipulated.

As you have seen the only real difference for us is not having multiple levees to choose from. So your ability to hunt out in the field will be up to the land owner. If he will allow you to setup a blind in the field.

If not then setup just like one of the bales. I would like to setup several locations on 40 acres to be able to hunt the wind and change up your patterns too.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby mgthunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 am

thanks for the info.

not sure the farmer is going to want to put a blind in the middle of the field. it would be preferred on our end. I can see why he wouldn't want to.

This guy has cut the rice, bailed the stubble, and ran a disc thru all the fields. I have never seen this done before. Those fields will be almost impossible to walk in.

I also discovered the field I was looking at leasing has a large silver diesel fuel tank sitting directly in the middle of it. Unless he can move it, I think I will have to pass on this deal and look for another. Do you know anybody in SE Ark w/ blinds to lease?
mgthunter
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:57 am

No help in Arkansas, I'm a Texas boy. Try in the AR forum.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:32 am

I have hunted a field like this. The best thing to do is over the summer make an island blind in the middle of the field. and put decoys all around you.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Fuel Tank wont bother the ducks

Postby NCALGunr » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:08 pm

If you can get over the fuel tank, the ducks are already over it..I hunted a club with three ponds...the middle pond had a diesel tank near it..Never stopped the ducks..in fact that middle pond was the best shooting blind.
NCALGunr
hunter

Postby inwaterfowlin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:16 pm

i second the fuel tank a hunt a pond with two tanks, one a little of the shore and one right in the middle. they have been there for some while and the ducks have no problem with them abd usually land right next to the one in the middle
Team Keats
Jake Huff
inwaterfowlin
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:35 am

Looks like a tank blind is in order, what kind of camo goes with that??
yamaha783
hunter

steel colored silver paint

Postby NCALGunr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 pm

just a 50 gal drum on its side on stilts paited silver... :huh:
it could just work!
Killin fast Food!
NCALGunr
hunter

Postby ctalley » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:59 pm

We got our farmer to leave some areas that he didn't roll to help us conceal our layout blinds. In our area I think that the ducks are getting leary of pits so a land leveled field would be my choice.
ctalley
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting