I don't know what my problem is.

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

I don't know what my problem is.

Postby Boomn4x4 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:36 pm

I am fed up with field duck hunting.....I have always been a field goose hunter, and have been very successful with it. There have always been ducks flying around, but I have for the most part always ingored them. This year I decided to put some duck deeks out, I baught a wind powered mojo (once again you get what you pay for), and I baught a duck call and practiced up over the winter. I'm fairly confident I'm a mediocre -> decent duck caller. So far this year, we've taken 14 ducks out of our field, but we have seen a total of about 1000 fly by. Now it's to the point where I'm just frustrated.

Here is my set up. It's almost always three of us in FA SUB layouts. Depending on the wind I will either set up my goose deeks in small family groups with a large pocket in the middle, or a "V" shape. If I setup with the small families of canadas I'll mix the ducks in with them. If I setup with a "V' I'll put our blinds at the apex of the "V" and the ducks behind me, with the mojo the furthest away. I also use a goose flag. What I have been doing is if I see ducks I'll blow a hail call to get them to turn, which often works, but I can seem to get them to commint Very often they will fly about 50 yards directly over head. Sometimes they will circle around, but with the exeption of the 14 we've taken so far, they don't seem overly interested. I'm hoping some of you may have some adivce to leave.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby duckdog » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Sounds like mallards to me! Do you have your duck, and goose decoys to close to each other? Are you adding some feeding calls when they are circling. I know I have much better luck in the morning field hunting duck's than in the p.m.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Yep they are almost always mallards. I probably do have the ducks too close, I've got them pretty much seamless.... as soon as the geese end the ducks start. Any suggestions on how to alter my setup? I do use the feeder call quite a bit as I've noticed I get the best response out of it, I also use a whistle which seems to get their attention pretty good.
Boomn4x4

Postby Daisycuttin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:07 pm

From my experience, I would put the duck dekes behind ya (if your facing the wind) adn kinda seperate them from the honker dekes the ducks will still try to land in your V. I just does'nt seem to look natural to them with the ducks and the geese feeding tightly together. Get em looking at a seperate group of ducks behind ya and smack em b4 they know what hit em.
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:21 am

Boom, I have been converted and no longer a fan of a V or J or W or any other letter of the alphabet. You can put the dekes in a more natural setting while still leaving a landing zone. One note, a little further south of you, the only way we get ducks to come into a field is with water. If it aint flooded then for the most part they will only come in when it rains. I find a small low spot holding water and set up around it for ducks.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10 am

Do you have a mojo. If not I would recommend one for field hunting. The ducks pretty much try to land on it. And then you can turn it off when the geese are coming.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:47 am

I need to get a mojo... I have an AirLucky I use for marsh hunting, but I have definatly notieced that the geese don't like it in my spread and will flare if it is there.
Boomn4x4

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:11 am

This is true they will flare if it is on and sometimes they will even flare if its up. So just put it behind your blind so you can turn it off and then take it down when the geese are coming in. The mojo should increase your duck numbers though.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting