What kind of fields hold geese and duck?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What kind of fields hold geese and duck?

Postby Homerlicious » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:17 am

I am fairly new to field hunting for ducks and geese. I went scouting with one of my friends who has some old family property that they lease the farming rights. We had never been down there and were hoping for corn fields. Instead we were greeted with cotton and soy. There is also a 10 acre pond next to these fields. The fields were not holding any geese or ducks and niether was the pond. I was wondering if I should get my hopes up about waterfowl eventually making thier way in to these fields or if my buddy and I should classify this spot as fishing only.

Also what other types of fields to ducks and geese hold in? I appreciate the help. :thumbsup:
Homerlicious
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:07 am

Just keep checking it, ducks and geese will use any field. I've seen them use pastures before. So the key is to keep scouting it out. But ducks and geese love soybeans before it gets really cold.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:07 pm

sdgr8wthnter wrote:.........So the key is to keep scouting it out. But ducks and geese love soybeans before it gets really cold.

exactly.....In field hunting, scouting is the name of the game. Go out the evening before and see where the birds are feeding. That will tell you where to set up for the hunt.
Ducks and geese will tear a bean field up pretty quick.....just give em time to find it. How big is the bean field?

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Homerlicious » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:38 am

The soy bean field on his property is about 10 acres I believe. Most of his land is cotton. I didn't realize that waterfowl like bean fields. I will have to set something up with him to go back out and scout the land again. If we see anything this time we will have to throw some deeks out in the morning and see what we can do.

I noticed you said to scout these fields the night before. Is it better to scout for waterfowl in the early evening?
Homerlicious
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:10 pm

Yes, ducks and geese will go to the fields to feed before they return to their roosting location. Usually, not all the time, they will return to their feeding location from the previous evening.
Take you a chair and a good pair of binocs and just set and enjoy the sunset, watch the activity in the field, if any, and take notes on where the birds are located in the field, keep in mind that it will be a lot harder to find this location in the dark, then return early the next morning and set decoys according to how many birds are using the area.....ei. If there are 1000's of ducks/geese using the field, you will want a larger spread......and so on.
Get covered up real well and enjoy the hunt.......let us know what you encounter and good luck to ya. :thumbsup:

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Homerlicious » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:54 pm

I appreciate the advice. We may not get back there for another week or so but I will post an update and hopefully some pictures if things go to plan. :mrgreen:
Homerlicious
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:07 pm

You betcha and good luck to ya.

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby quackhead47 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:34 am

Got a question aboout field hunting. Now that the winter months are upon us, and most of the beans are down, corn is picked, and the most of the fields are tilled, will ducks and geese still use these plots?
R.Burchfield

MALLARDS- 7
WOOD-2
BLACK-0
Merganser- 1
CANADA-15
quackhead47
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:26 am

You have to scout them to find out what there hitting and what there not....Where I hunt when it snows they hit the corn fields and winter wheat fields the most but youll have to scout them and watch where there going
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:14 am

Yes they will used tilled fields. Just have to scout.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:48 pm

In waterfowling, scouting holds the key to success.........always. Scout, scout and scout some more........keep scouting because weather patterns have a lot to do with their movements and feeding patterns. :thumbsup:

Good luck,
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby geese9 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:47 pm

I agree :smile: scouting is the way to go.
I spent 1 week scouting and drove ~1000 miles in order to get in 1 really good goose hunt and 1 ok hunt.

The birds were changing fields every day. Even on non-shoot days.
So ideally, a scout in the morning and evening is best.

Unfortunately, the scouting does take some effort and time but it is worth it once you get some rewards. It is tough depending on life circumstances.....

After doing this for a number of years it gets a little easier. You also start to appreciate the services that a guide service can provide (field location of feeding birds more than anything else).

Best of luck :thumbsup:
chad

ohsobad_hunter wrote:In waterfowling, scouting holds the key to success.........always. Scout, scout and scout some more........keep scouting because weather patterns have a lot to do with their movements and feeding patterns. :thumbsup:

Good luck,
geese9
hunter

Postby MR DUCKS » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:31 pm

try not to go to a spot and expect ducks. Find the ducks and ask for permision to hunt them. At least 75% of waterfouling is scouting. ( tip:wear a nice shirt!)
"Up at the Quack of dawn"
MR DUCKS
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting