Goose Decoys for ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Goose Decoys for ducks

Postby furball » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:44 pm

I hear it works, but do any of you actually do it? Going to SD and wanted to be prepared.

:D
furball

Postby AddictedtoQuack » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:36 pm

See if the ducks are feeding with the geese while scouting. I've had the best luck shooting ducks over snow goose decoys, but some days dark decoys are just as effective.

Depends on the situation.
AddictedtoQuack
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:50 am

Goose decoys will draw mallards and other puddlers, but in my experience the opposite is not consistent. If your focus is on ducks, just have some goose dekes as confidence decoys off to the side a bit. If after geese and the mallards are bonus birds, mix 'em in. , but don't worry about the ducks coming in anyhow.
DUKHTR

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:21 am

I principally hunt Geese in the field, so yes the ducks love those goose decoys. Up in CA the ducks are bonus birds while you shoot for the geese. Just set the duck decoys a little upwind of the goose decoys and get ready to have some fun!
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ifitflysitdies » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:26 pm

Man, we have been busting geese all year in corn fields. Nothing but goose decoys all year, and suddenly the mallards have been comming in like crazy since things began to freeze up around here. Last weekedn we had no less that 400 mallards drop in the spread and all over the field. Unfortunatly duck season went out the week before so the ducks are safe in VA for now. Its an awesome thing to watch ducks drop into a field like that.....hope you have some luck!
Ducks are forever, Women are temporary!
ifitflysitdies
hunter

Postby Goosehunter04 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:28 pm

we shoot ducks all the time over the goose decoys in the field
Goosehunter04
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:50 pm

Been using a couple hundred Snow/Blue rags along with a couple dozen Mallard shells for migrating ducks here for years. Flight birds will come down to check out what the geese are doing. Does a number on the shy locals also, even manage a couple of the light geese which is very rare. Canadians even pour in, but we can't touch them until Dec.
Cobra
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:35 am

goose decoys good confidence decoys for the ducks.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:25 pm

they must work fairly well we shot out limits of ducks every time but 3 or 4 times in the feild last year when all we had was geese out... if there are ducks in the air you have a good chance at them
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:56 pm

I think you have to put the geese off to the side because the ducks didn't like it when I mixed the ducks and geese together. I am going to try it different next time.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:29 pm

the ducks will come into goose decoys but if u use both ur best bet is to put the geese behind ur blinds and then if using duck decoys stick them bout 2 feet off the front of ur blind it keeps them apart and they for some reason like that.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby vanvo » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:50 pm

we just use a dozen goose wind socks as confidence builders. we place them about ten yards from our robo ducks. but the funny thing is one day we had just the robos and no decoys and we had a small group of geese come in and land.
vanvo
hunter

Postby outdoorsetc1 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:06 pm

Goosehunter04 wrote:we shoot ducks all the time over the goose decoys in the field
do you use a duck call when you dont have any duck deks in your spred??? :help:
Im going fishing cuz I cant duck hunt right now!
outdoorsetc1
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:12 pm

duckbuster and I found a spread that works you set all you duck decoys up however you want, then we put 4 bigfeet up about 5yds. from the duck decoys and then we put our blinds right in between the duck and goose decs. The ducks wanted to land right where out blinds were, so if I was you I would do the same spread, but just put your blind close to your goose decoys :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:31 pm

:withstupid: and if u have a couple feeding fullbodies place them like there feeding right next to ur blind...
duckbuster
hunter

Postby ducks_cut_em » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:46 pm

We have hunted ducks with just goose decoys and a couple robo ducks. When we have duck decoys in the field the ducks seem to land in the goose decoys anyways. Also in early goose season we have had ducks in our goose decoys.
ducks_cut_em
Newb

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:11 pm

My buddy has a few goose wind socks that he painted the heads up as mallard heads and painted the sock up as a body. I was kind of weary of them at first but then once we tried them out in the field they seemed to work fine.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:11 am

ive pulled in geese with only mallard decoys.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:02 pm

I have been set up strickly for geese in the corn fields and have gone home with a hand full of mallards that tried to land in my goose decoys. I currently use goose decoys in the water and on shore when I set up on the local rivers hunting for ducks as well. It really seems to make a difference.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby ActionPoint » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:13 pm

I always try to mix it up a little when hunting late season fields. I've always had more success with ducks when I've got a goose spread out also. When hunting water, I usually just add a pair of goose decoys to the outside of my duck decoys.
ActionPoint
Banned

Postby athomeruddy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:25 pm

we dont have any field duck dekes, either push some floaters in the ground, or put out a windduck in the middle of our hardcores!
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:03 am

You guys do relize that this thread is over two years old right? If he hasn't found the answer to his question by now, he never will! :toofunny: :thumbsup:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting