Hunting corn fields late season in South Dakota

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Hunting corn fields late season in South Dakota

Postby greenheads23 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:08 pm

What are your guys thoughts on hunting corn fields in SD in November? How many spinners, how many goose/duck decoys? we've been slaughtering the mallards this year. The last two hunts haven't been the best thought and its getting colder weather is changing but the birds are def here. We've tried using 2 spinners and we've tried using up to 10 spinners. All the spinners are on different lengths of poles and we've tried putting them in front to the side and behind us, and even tried them with out the spinners. Our spread the first time was 2 dozen full body mallards, and the second time we went up to 4 dozen. The only thing we didnt use was goose decoys, I through 2 doz bigfoots in the trailer and am going to try using them tomorrow around the blind. Is there anything else you guys could think of trying or changing up? The weather tomorrow is supposed to be south wind 15-25 mph and cloudy.
greenheads23
hunter

Re: Hunting corn fields late season in South Dakota

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Get your blinds out away from the spread. Back off on calling. Run the spinners close to the ground. Stuff like that; ducks in SD are going to see so many U shaped honker spreads with five spinners and five rectangles next to the spinners in the next 2 weeks...tis the season!

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Re: Hunting corn fields late season in South Dakota

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Try lowering all or some of the spinners to right above ground level. I watched ducks agressively feeding this year and they were hopping over each other less than 2 feet off the ground. The new flocks were diving right in.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting