Field Hunting puddlers

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field Hunting puddlers

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:07 pm

Now, my buddy has some duck shells that we have put out several times while hunting geese in the fields. The ducks fly over from time to time and when we call they will circle and see the shells. We have had them cup and start to commit and flare off every time just before being in range. We even tried boosting the number with floater in the corn field and never any luck. They just circle and fly away.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or need to be done differently? When we duck hunt a water source they just seem to circle and pour right on in.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:25 am

I know someone is banging ducks in the fields. Anyone have any comments?
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:31 am

Field hunting ducks is tricky at times. If they have an established field that they are feeding in and you are trying to run traffick on them, it can be a tough sell especially if the have been hunted already and are edgy.

Maybe you have the decoys too close to the goose decoys... is there a landing area for them? Are you conceled well? And at times no matter what you do, they will not cooperate. All things to consider.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HatterWayne » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:01 am

I totally agree with H2O. Ducks, for the most part, are out of their environment in a field and do some strange things. One other thing you may try is to put more drake dekes of the species out, and separatly off to the side of the geese so they will show up better against the ground.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:54 pm

I have heard that if you place a blue plastic tarp on th ground and place some decoys on it the ducks flying over think there is water on the field and are more likely to commit.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:01 pm

A black tarp is what you should use. Add dirt and some scrub brush around the edges to shape it and to give it a natural small watering hole "pond" look.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:29 pm

Go out and watch duck's working a field sometime. I know around here them mallards seem to circle, and circle till legal shooting hour's are over. They must be keeping an eye on the watche's :laughing:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby magicBB » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:58 pm

nm
magicBB
hunter

Postby akeenwoterfowler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Code: Select all
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLO_KXnVgVU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLO_KXnVgVU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
[/i]
akeenwoterfowler
Newb

Postby akeenwoterfowler » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 pm

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLO_KXnVgVU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLO_KXnVgVU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
akeenwoterfowler
Newb

Return to Field Duck Hunting