Clear the snow?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Clear the snow?

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Hunting a cut corn field in the am and it will be snowing all night. Should I clear an area before setting the decoys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Re: Clear the snow?

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

I wouldn't. I doubt ducks will care but it would look weird to see a big cleared spot in the middle of a field. We always kick dirt up if the ground isn't completely frozen to look like the birds are digging in. Your decoys will "pop" with the white background too.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:40 pm

The_Real_TCIII wrote:Hunting a cut corn field in the am and it will be snowing all night. Should I clear an area before setting the decoys?

I would, if I could. How you going to do it? Snow blower? Plow? Keep in mind a butt head warden might claim you are exposing grain.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:52 pm

I didn't do it but it was such a powdery snow I could have brushed a good size area with the decoy bag

The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 am

Oh, I thought you had like inches of snow, not a dusting.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting