I'm so close...... but

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

I'm so close...... but

Postby 11-87 Va » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm so close but I can't get the ducks to commit. They almost get into range but then they fly on. They will circle my decoys as if they want to come in, but then don't. I have a dozen Bigfoot B2 geese decoys and six Higdon full body mallard decoys. I am hunting picked corn fields and am using a layout blind. The birds aren't flaring like they do when you scare them, just won't finish. Any help would be great.
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Re: I'm so close...... but

Postby tornadochaser » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Get a mojo and set your blind 10 yards upwind of your decoys.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 am

I agree get a Mojo. Maybe another dozen decoys if they are flying high in that area.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 pm

Thank y'all for the input. Which Mojo would you recommend. Is a remote model necessary? I have never used one, so any recommendation would be appreciated.
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Get rid of the yard bird decoys and just set mallards.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Remote would be useful if you are trying to kill geese. (Geese don't like em) but not necessary. You should look into a mojo wing thang. They seem great for this application
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:44 am

I always separate my geese and ducks leaving a 20 yard pocket in the middle. Put out at least 1 mojo, I run 3 at times, but like stated already, geese will shy away so it helps to turn them off.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 am

I suspect it's poor timing on calling. When ducks circle tightly several times and leave is a symptom of that.
Let them get a ways down wind before you hittem with the call.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 am

You gotta not call unless you need them to turn. The call, tells them WHEN to turn. If they are doing what you want...be silent. Tips n tails.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:17 am

If call constantly, they fly in circles , get upset and leave.
aunt betty

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:18 am

There are also instances, most notably late in the season, when you have to call the birds all the way to the ground. Try different things and get better at reading the birds.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 am

my dad does some field hunting in Kansas, he carries his 5 gallon bucket with a lucky duck in it, sits on the bucket in the field edge and puts the lucky duck out in the field in range and shoots his limit, puts the lucky duck back in the bucket and heads for home. No other decoys, just the spinner, mallards aren't that smart when it comes to field hunting, just get where they can see that spinner.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:05 pm

aunt betty wrote:You gotta not call unless you need them to turn. The call, tells them WHEN to turn. If they are doing what you want...be silent. Tips n tails.

On this particular hunt I didn't call to them at all. They flew over my spread and started that circling stuff. I didn't want to spook them, so I didn't call at all. I have watched them do this same thing before they would land in a field with nothing in it at all. They just seem very cautious.
woodduck31 wrote:my dad does some field hunting in Kansas, he carries his 5 gallon bucket with a lucky duck in it, sits on the bucket in the field edge and puts the lucky duck out in the field in range and shoots his limit, puts the lucky duck back in the bucket and heads for home. No other decoys, just the spinner, mallards aren't that smart when it comes to field hunting, just get where they can see that spinner.

That sounds like a fun time!
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:25 am

Sounds to me like some wary ducks that have been in the area for awhile.. I had a hunt on the x where the duck wouldn't land till 11:30 because they are so used to being shot early morning,
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:27 am

To me it sounds like educated birds picking a spread apart. It happens, lets say you have twelve birds working you and they circle you nine times. That's a lot of chances for one of those twenty four eye balls to catch something that is not right. Now they may not flare hard but they will just say " something isn't right and mozzy on". you can try more deeks or spinners and see if that helps and if all else fails and you have small groups (three to six birds) doing this it might be time to realize that the beautiful cupped up feet down finish just isn't in the cards. So if they are within your capable range the over head shot maybe your only option.
olt d2
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm

I agree with you guys, very weary indeed. But I haven't been shooting at them that's for sure. And to be honest, I can't figure out why we are seeing so many. Now the numbers would not even come close to what most of y'all experience, but it's a good many for us. The only thing that I can think of is that they have learned to travel with the geese. Either way, I have enjoyed having them around. Our duck season goes out Saturday, so I hope to have a spinner for next year. I'm learning :thumbsup:
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Me too man me too.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Theduckguru wrote:Get rid of the yard bird decoys and just set mallards.

Completely disagree, ducks will decoy just as good if not better to canadas than they do full body mallards. Mojo and the right calling should get you going.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Yep. I have seen a lot of ducks land in with the geese. On many occasion, they were flying with them as well. Plus, I am primarily a goose hunter so I can't get rid of my B2s.
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Brandon_Rad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Are they local birds? They seem to know the whole system as the season progresses.
Brandon_Rad
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Brandon_Rad wrote:Are they local birds? They seem to know the whole system as the season progresses.

I would say no. But that is solely based on the fact that we usually don't have ducks around this part of Virginia. I noticed them showing up towards the end of last season when the geese were moving back north.
I am second

Minus One
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby Kirksingleton » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Interesting comments!
For late season Can. geese-we call as little as possible. Let the decoys do the work. Most people call to much and scare the geese away. A few honks and grunts are all you need.
Kirksingleton
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting