Field Setup

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field Setup

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 pm

New to duck hunting so I was wondering how you hunters would setup in this setup

40 acres Rice field flooded that borders WMA timber that may or may not be flooded
Field already has a open pit that's approx 150 yards from levee at a 30' wide bayou that separates WMA from farm.

I am a deer hunter who has duck hunted in the past a good bit but always on their invite
My thought was to build a pit partially built into levee on the tree lined levee that separates farm from WMA
Blind would be facing south. So shooting would mainly be in front and sides of blind. Would the huge trees across from blind be a problem that keeps ducks out in field or would they actually feel better closer to ditch and timber

My though was this would keep pit dry easier to hide in side of levee. And easier to Camo to keep from looking like a hut in a field.

Any thought input. Looking for advice from those who know ducks. I can setup a great deer blind but will be first to admit I am green on a duck blind what looks good to me maybe all wrong.

Also are there any restrictions on how close my set up has to be to WMA border won't be shooting ducks over line but will be less than 50' from actual line.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Re: Field Setup

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 pm

In my opinion the ones that look the best are built into the small rice levees that curve and bend through the fields. The only problem with putting it backed up to the timber is you automatically eliminate the blinds versatility by cutting off that wind direction. However, if the one in the middle is flaring duck and you have no small rice levees then your location could produce.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Trent_Rivers wrote:In my opinion the ones that look the best are built into the small rice levees that curve and bend through the fields. The only problem with putting it backed up to the timber is you automatically eliminate the blinds versatility by cutting off that wind direction. However, if the one in the middle is flaring duck and you have no small rice levees then your location could produce.

Thanks for the input. Yes there is a levee I can put in the field. I was just wondering if it wouldn't be easier hiding the pit in a dry levee just in from of flooded field. I have never hunted in a rice field been timber or on river. So this is a new world for me. I didn't know if ducks like to hug tree line out while checking a field at. Or did they avoid tree line and stay out in field.

I will seek farmers input as to where he would like blind to be put. The blind that's there now is own our land but actually belongs to neighbor He may leave it or want it. It may or may not be large enough to suit what I want. I own a sheet metal shop so I can custom make what ever I need.

Thanks for the help again.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 am

If able, point your blind north and out the sun in the ducks face instead of yours.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting