Diver decoys in filed

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Diver decoys in filed

Postby Down South Gratton » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:24 pm

I've never hunted in a field but I'm moving away from water to Colorado. I was wondering if I can't still hunt diver decoys in a field or would it be worth selling them. I know many people won't be looking due to season is over but any help would be great thanks.
2012-2013 duck season 25 ducks
2013-2014 duck season 65 ducks and 2 geese
Down South Gratton
hunter

Re: Diver decoys in filed

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Don't quote me on this but I don't think you'll see divers in a field. I'm sure there are lakes and ponds in Colorado with diver ducks??

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Down South Gratton » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks for the help. I haven't move to Colorado yet and don't know much about that area. But I'll learn
2012-2013 duck season 25 ducks
2013-2014 duck season 65 ducks and 2 geese
Down South Gratton
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm sure there will be places to diver hunt on water too.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jeepman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:02 pm

I know Avery sells / did sell fullbody Bluebills. I have never seen any divers out in fields, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I would do your homework. I was under the impression divers migrated following waterways, but maybe they stop and eat corn too? everything else seems to even though it's not part of their natural diet.
jeepman
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Diver decoys make good pigeon decoys in the field.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:11 pm

I have never....ever ....heard of diver ducks in a field,...except once! A Redhead.
It was shot passing by our blind at Tulie lake, Calif, on the firing line, and was definitely headed elsewhere.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:I have never....ever ....heard of diver ducks in a field,...except once! A Redhead.
It was shot passing by our blind at Tulie lake, Calif, on the firing line, and was definitely headed elsewhere.

with in the past few issues of DU they had a few pics of divers in fields.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am

You know.. thinking about this now, as I just came in from a scout in my usual fields, we hunt a particular field that borders a lake, and in the fall I'll get bluebills over canada decoys close enough to shoot.. not very often but it happens. But this field is like wrapped around a lake with marsh and flooded timber... just about every bill in town wants to be there. So if you're close to where they're at I would give it a shot.

But, what I would really do in your situation is to take a look around as to what ducks are in your area and paint your decoys to match.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 pm

A couple of years ago beaver breached a levee on an irrigation canal and flooded a weed filled meadow with intermittent brush. The area was about 6 inches deep and full of teal, shoveler and snipe. We set out a puddler spread of about a half dozen decoys and had this young canvasback come right in a little after sunrise. Completely surprised us for sure, but I certainly wouldn't consider setting up for divers in such a place, there are just a lot higher percentage diver areas to work than a shallow flooded field.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 am

I just started field hunting this past season, so take this with a grain of salt. The guys I hunted with, one was a pro-staffer for some pretty reputable companies and has been field hunting in Illinois his whole life. Anytime we hunted a field that had a flooded area he would put out 4-6 bluebill floaters. His logic was we might see some divers, but the best reason was because the black and white coloring showed up on the water from a long way off and that the puddlers would see it better. We shot a lot of ducks over the flood with the bb decoys out. Just my .02.
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting