Hunting after severe weather

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Hunting after severe weather

Postby DuckFlyer » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Guy's, Just wondering if you've ever noticed any patters in duck/goose hunting after severe weather. Wether it be hunting over fields or water.

Specificly, South West Michigan is getting hit with some pretty wacky weather as I type. Severe T-Storms and tornado warnings etc. My theory is that all wildlife in their instinctive wisdom, tanked up early this afternoon (while it was nice) then hunkered down for a rough night. Storms supposed to be gone by early morning, and I'm thinking they will want to be moving around again. Just wondered about all of your years of observation on this.

I'll hunt anyway, after all the old saying holds true: a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work!

Jon
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby Cobra » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:42 pm

They may sit a bit tighter in the AM before moving, especially if the wind stays up as advertised. Been too warm and very few flight birds are around. An incoming snow laced frontal system is what you want to attack. Birds fly all day around here. 80* and Tornado Warnings are a PIA in the middle of October, neighbor lost a big Maple tonight. Have about 15 empty garbage cans along my fence, weird night.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby DuckFlyer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:04 pm

Yup, They did sit tight in the AM, still a little windy too. But still came home with 3 mallards.
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:02 am

well when its windy outside usually the ducks and geese will try to find a place to lay down and sit as soon as they can. and what i'll see is right before a rain or snow storm the ducks and geese will basicly fly infront of the storm so like the night before or so.
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting