Mallard Shells?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Mallard Shells?

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:12 am

Which Mallard shells would you buy between feeders and actives? I'm getting a dozen and not sure which would be best. They would be my first field decoys purchase and don't know which to choose from? The harvester has a mix of both, but they at 6 and 6 drake to hen. I would rather have 8 drakes to 4 hens because the drakes show up so much better. Any advice?
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Re: Mallard Shells?

Postby jscheirer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Are you going to be using this only in fields or could you also set up on a creek bank or on ice? The reason I ask is that if mallards are in a field they are most likely head down feeding. But some shells on ice complete a late season spread and you could only use actives for that.

PS - hunting ducks in fields is mostly done with goose decoys and mojos. Food for thought
jscheirer
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:42 am

I'll be using them on river banks as well. Most of the fields we hunt flood also so we use floaters and field decoys. Anytime we put out all goose spreads this year we had a much harder time finishing mallards. With just a few mallard full bodies we were able to pull them in much easier. I like the shells because they're cheaper and easier to pack in. Just looking for opinions on whether the feeders or actives would work better if they were the only duck decoys I had out. Thanks for the reply
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby cutdown123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 pm

I love the ghg os shells. Got a dozen feeders and mix em with a harvester pack of pg fb mallards. Work awesome. I think rogers sporting goods has a harvester pack of the shells for 120 to. You can get feeders, actives, or the harvester pack wich has both. Thumbs up: good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cutdown123
hunter

Postby cutdown123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:33 pm

Sorry, didn't read that far enough. Can't go wrong with feeders imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cutdown123
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 pm

I think a feeder or two on a gravel bar would fit right in, as they do pick up gravel.
I have about 2 1/2 dozen GHG full bodies and six shells I hunt fields with, but I put out three or four of the full bodies on a small gravel bar in my honey hole, along with 6-8 floaters, and a couple of MOJOs
If hunting the Snake River I will be looking for large gravel bars to put out several full bodies both on the bar, and since they're on ring stands, maybe in several inches of water as well.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:42 am

We have been using G & H shells for years. Tough as nails, you can put 35 or so in a decoy bag, throw them on you back and walk in. single stake's help in ease of setting up.

http://www.ghdecoys.com/

http://www.ghdecoys.com/products/Standa ... pe%29.html
War Wagon
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri May 16, 2014 8:51 am

I have eight dozen GHG OS Mallard/Black shells. I love them. For every three dozen feeders I bought one dozen active.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting