Mallards in fields

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Mallards in fields

Postby duckbeginner » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:15 pm

How do I know if the mallards are going into the fields to feed? Everytime i drive by this small lake i see them on the lake but no one can hunt the lake. Is there any way I can find out if they are feeding in the near by field which surround the whole lake. Winter wheat field are what surround the lake. Any advice would be helpful.
Travis
duckbeginner
hunter

Postby Cobra » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:41 pm

Big difference between driving by and sitting and watching for awhile in what you'll observe. Don't think they're near as picky on the field they'll use as compared to geese. Have pulled them into some strange places in the past, try it you may be surprised.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Re: Mallards in fields

Postby Dolsmi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:05 pm

duckbeginner wrote:How do I know if the mallards are going into the fields to feed? Everytime i drive by this small lake i see them on the lake but no one can hunt the lake. Is there any way I can find out if they are feeding in the near by field which surround the whole lake. Winter wheat field are what surround the lake. Any advice would be helpful.
Travis

The last 30 minutes of sunlight is when you want to go out and scout. Or you can sit by the lake when they get off and follow them.
This is when the mallards will be heading out from the lake to the fields. I found that Mallards rarely feed on winter wheat. (Canada Honkers feed on these fields) If there is a picked corn field that is what you want. Even a corn field that has been plowed.

If there are enough around, you will see what looks like a huge tornado of ducks circling the field they are feeding in.

You don't necessarily need to be in the field they are feeding in, you just need to be in the same flight path that they are on to go to and from.
You just need a spread of decoys, a duck call and a Robo duck or 2 (Flags will work as well) keep your eyes open and wait.

Good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm

i have heard that robos work alot better on dry ground because the ducks must hang in the air longer to look for a safe place to land. as to water they can bail right off in it if they want.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby soldier29 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:58 am

do other species of ducks like teal and pintails also feed in the fields
soldier29
Newb

Postby Dolsmi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:59 am

Welcome to DHC soldier29 :welcome:
I have found that the Robo duck's work the best in fields. In the water they seem to not have the same drawing effect on the ducks.

As for what ducks we normally would shoot in fields, its definately 95% Mallards and Pintails. They tend to fly together here in the upper midwest. (Up here we normally only hunt picked corn fields for ducks)
We also will shoot a few gadwalls, and widgen.
As well as some wood ducks on afternoon shoots, just before they are ready to fly south.
If you are hunting a field by water, you might get some teal to swing by to check it out, but I have never seen a teal land in the field decoys.
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby kidhunter » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:47 pm

hunted a couple fields in arizona this year a couple times and towards the end of the year we shoot alot of pintaial and widgeon in fields we have shot teal in fields to and believe it or not i have shot a red head in the field once it was wierd
kidhunter
kidhunter
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting