bringing them in closer

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

bringing them in closer

Postby goose hunter » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:55 am

Ok guys I went out this morning 11/2 and I saw probably 200 ducks b4 I had to leave and more still flying. The first pack I saw was way to high to shoot with the improved cylinder choke I had in the gun so I switched to modified. The next batch came in much lower 40 yds; shootable. I shot and missed and that's what happened flock after flock and got frustrated. I'm using wingmaster HD shells and I'm going to try the ic choke tomorrow morning. If I go tomorrow morning will it be too much on the ducks? also, I have 12 mallard decoys with removable keels, if I set these on the ground, do you think the ducks will dive in lower to get a look? Note that these ducks have never been shot at until this morning by anyone. thanks.
Coyotes-32
Gray fox- 17
Red Fox-15
Ringtail-3
Kit Fox-25
Bobcat-23
Mt. Lion-2 (Season Limit)
goose hunter
hunter

bringing them in closer

Postby stuckinTX » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:52 am

If you are field hunting what you might want to do is use the decoys that you have, what about a motion decoy. If you have a motion decoy I would try just that. Before I had the field spread I have now, all we use to run were motion decoys in the field. Try calling at them so that they can zero in on your location a little better, and make sure that you are well covered up. Maybe try another choke, a modified. Hope this helps.
stuckinTX
Newb

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:13 am

You may not like this, but most likely operator error on the misses VS choke/shells.

Sure use the floaters and remove the keel. Guys will also take a spade with to dig a gropve in the ground to place keeled decoys.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting