The infamous tarp pond...

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

The infamous tarp pond...

Postby Duckslayer920 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:36 am

Alright, well enough is enough.
I keep hearing more and more about these fake ponds and how well they work. Well, my only decent spot is a large corn farm. I usually set up with about 3 dozen geese dekes and a dozen mallard dekes off to the side. But lately, unlike previous years, we're seeing more ducks than geese. Today we probably saw close to 200. Only problem with the ducks around here is they get in their mind where theyre goin and thats just where they're goin. Around here, temperature never really gets cold enough to freeze all the ponds. Today, for instance, its in the low 60's. And around where I hunt, there's tons of ponds and lakes so we basically just catch them goin from one to the other. I did call in a couple mallards into the goose spread today but rarely does this ever happen. I cant help but think that if those 'fake' ponds work as well as people say, I could really suck them in. My question is though, is it worth it? I mean we average seein a couple hundred ducks and geese every morning but its just so hard to pull them into corn when they have a dozen huge horse farm lakes to chose from. (and some with people feeding them....yea i know) And if this was worth it, how big is big enough? Does anyone hear regularly do this? Im guessing 50x50 feet would probably do the trick since there would be corn surrounding the tarp pond. I guess I just have a lot of questions...
American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Duckslayer920
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby Labs » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:03 pm

I would say that in this instance, if you are hunting a corn field, you don't need that big of a fake pond. What I would do, is set out more duck decoys....also, ducks, like geese are creatures of habit....if they are using a particular farm pond, you may have difficulty getting them to start "using" your fake pond....more ducks, less geese for the deeks...

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby nitrousneil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:47 pm

we have a feb. season coming up and im going to try this all but lake michigan should be froze up so im going to try this.
neil gibson
high plains honker #0031
smm/tr hybrid
showtime#153 red/clear
dmm#3571 red/clear
strait meat honker red/clear
nitrousneil
Forum & State Moderator

Postby curtisjr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:47 pm

don't know if you are using one but a couple of mojo's might help you out alot. might also try adding more ducks and mixing them in with the geese. has worked for me and might be worth a shot
curtisjr
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:37 pm

up here in the great frozen north (MINNESOTA) i have used this. make sure when placing it in a field try to set it in a low lying spot. make the edges look like a real pond buring them and leave a little slack so the wind can kinda blow on it to give it movementset alot of your decoys out of the water right on the edge and some in the water on that same side. next year when i get a video camera i will film these geese coming in on a frozen lake with my fake pond on the ice and show you. they slam onto that thing thinking it is water and tumble and just plain eat it on approtch. good luck. i dont know if it is legal but they do sell fake ears of corn to try to bring the birds in. i have never tried them but you might wanna look into that as well give them food water and a safe place to land and they may just pick your spot everytime :thumbsup:
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby Duckslayer920 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys and Id love to see that video ford. Thanks again!
American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Duckslayer920
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby derbyhillsranch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:02 pm

i think a frozen lake would be easiest, but how would one get the tarp to look natural in a corn field? without mowing the stalks flat, wouldnt the tarp sit on top of the stubble?
"ROCK 'EM BOYS"
derbyhillsranch
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 pm

step them down, kick them over, bring an axe and get rid of it, burn them, blow em up, just get rid of them. stomping them over is the best dosnt need to be perfectly flat.
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

ugly ford
hunter

Postby browningA5 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 am

what coler tarp, and do u put any decoys on top of tarp or around tarp, just woundering, thanks
BT
wait, wait, wait, TAKE EM
browningA5
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:42 am

the tarp must be black during the freeze. i dont know if it should be a diffrent color when things are not frozen. yes put some decoys on the tarp near the edge. i have even put a couple goose butts on it :thumbsup:

ugly ford
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:42 pm

so i too live in minn and have tried this and am tired of people wonderin about this does it work? in the right conditions yes it works. Best condition is a frozen lake that they are already using and set up on a shore line where there is good cover to hide in and wait. Problem is, movement with late season decoy shy birds, it is hard i've shot birds over a set up like this but had the perfect set up and the birds wanted in the spot that i had. oh yeah it was 0 degrees adn everything was froze. if ya have the urge try it and see how it works. GOODLUCK
Ducks22
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:25 pm

The last two weeks has been really cold and has been freezing the ponds and parts of the lake. We had a permit hunt and was expecting it to be frozen (thank goodness it wasn't). But the night before I was thinking if a big black piece of plastic on top of the ice would be a good idea and would it even work. I think it would. It would save a lot of time and effort of breaking a hole in the ice to set your decoys. But would you just set you floater on the plastic? What would you do? (I don't mean to taking this thread over or anything)
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby finalcall16 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:52 pm

up in michigan we use only goose decoys and a couple of mojo's
and the ducks come into them without hessitation we always kill our limit or ducks when goose hunting
finalcall16
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:27 pm

ive always wanted to know wether this trick is as effective as most people say it is..... i think ill try it next duck season.
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:15 pm

My dad has a thousand acre lease of nothing but fields and 2 cypress brakes. I really wanta try this. Does it have to be a corn field what about a wheat field or milo field? How many dekes should i use?
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:04 pm

orangefoot wrote:My dad has a thousand acre lease of nothing but fields and 2 cypress brakes. I really wanta try this. Does it have to be a corn field what about a wheat field or milo field? How many dekes should i use?

any field you have seen them use. and as many decoys as you have or feel comfortable using

ugly ford
hunter

Postby lanthanide » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:11 pm

awright....

what color tarp are people using...blue or black.
lanthanide
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 pm

black. let me track down a picture idahofowlweather posted a few months back, my dad thought the guy was up to his knees in water, hahaha.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 pm

well, the picture got deleted, but here is the link for that thread.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopi ... ter#102479
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Field Duck Hunting