How do i get ducks to use a pond that is made for ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

How do i get ducks to use a pond that is made for ducks

Postby mashin_da_ducks » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:25 pm

This pond at most is waist deep. Me and my buddie have just been sitting on it with a few decoys out but the ducks just wont come down to it. HELP!!! plz. Tell wat to put around it and if i should stick some buck brush in the pond.
Give a kid a duck and he will be happy for an hour, teach him to hunt and he will be hooked for life!
mashin_da_ducks
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 am

My buddy and I hunt on some private land in much the same type of set up as you describe. A small pond, maybe 40 yards across, with good cover for us, but we haven't had the success we would like.

We have maybe 2 dozen floating dekes and three robos around the edge of the pond, but for some reason, the good numbers of birds fly right by. I assume it is because we aren't "where the birds want to be." Still hoping that changes for the next two weekends.
GCox25
hunter

Postby sbeIICT » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:45 pm

Try mixing up your spread. Decrease and increase the numbers of dekes and see what happens. What is around the pond? If there are other options in terms of water then your struggle will be more complicated.
Dusty Bottoms
sbeIICT
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Likely you are right about not being where they want to be. If over huntied, or no food on the pond for them with better food elsewhere, that is where they will go.

This spring perhaps plant plants that they like, like wild celery, sago pond weed, or Japanese Millet, corn, etc.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby GCox25 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am

It seems like you were asking me about the location, so I want to tell you as much as I know in hopes of getting some good advice.

The pond we hunt is located about 1-2 miles from a 4100 acre lake and is situated between the lake and the fields that the birds feed in. There is wheat, alfalfa, corn and peanuts in abundance all around our spot, but the pond we hunt is on an unfarmed 60 acres.

It is surrounded by cedar trees and we have a nice blind and very good cover. Like I said before, we are using around 2 dozen dekes and 3 robos right now, paying attention to the wind, etc. but have just not had the success we would like.

We nearly always get a few birds in, but have only limited once this season.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
GCox25
hunter

Postby huntnducks707 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:32 pm

can you check the lake to see when the ducks are in

do you hunt mornings afternoons or evenings

how often do you hunt this pond,

is there any activity on the lake or fields to kick the birds out or do they camp out and just fly back and forth on their terms

you can try cuting it back to less than a dozen dekes but

have you ever just hid and watched the pond from a distance to see if you guys are maybe doin something the birds dont like

if you watch the pond and see just a few birds their check it again a couple days later to see if they are getting pressure else were and starting to acumulate in the pond thinking they found a safe house and then hunt it but dont over hunt it ,, youll be sorry
huntnducks707
Newb

Return to Field Duck Hunting