How do you get ducks on a dry corn field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

How do you get ducks on a dry corn field

Postby Arkansas Kwack Smacker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:25 pm

I know were a dry corn field is and it would be the perfect place to hunt ducks but they just wont come to it, any help
Arkansas Kwack Smacker
hunter

Postby curtisjr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:54 pm

we use geese, field duck decoys, and a couple of mojos
curtisjr
hunter

Postby Arkansas Kwack Smacker » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 pm

I live in arkansas and we cant use mojos, but i use floater decoys and they dont work so i will try the field decoys
Arkansas Kwack Smacker
hunter

Re: How do you get ducks on a dry corn field

Postby Dolsmi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:17 pm

Arkansas Kwack Smacker wrote:I know were a dry corn field is and it would be the perfect place to hunt ducks but they just wont come to it, any help

Put a spread of decoys out, just to catch their attention.
Then get a flag, (normally you see flags for canadian geese).
Use the flags, black plus also use the white ones. You want the flash of the flag to drawn them in.
Believe it or not it will work if the ducks are flying by...
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Some good advice above.

Also read over the topics, pick up lots of info that way.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 am

I like to use a spread of full body goose dekes for visability and I own a ton so it makes sense. Also our seasons overlap so we are always chasing ducks and geese at the same time. I would get a loud single reed duck call and try to get their attention as they fly by.....you can use flags, white gloves to add motion.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Postby otter slough hunter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:50 pm

My brother and I have acually pulled birds off of other hunters on public land by using our duck floaters in dry corn fields with the mojos going. We have observed ducks that will fly right over the flooded corn over into our field of dry corn.
MAN I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!!!
otter slough hunter
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm

i use a spread of about 3 doz goose decoys and i took 2 doz flambuea mallards and cut the kiels off them and use them like a duck shell in the stuble. i also use a lucky duck spinner and put 2 carrylight landing mallards on camo conduit poles to look like landing mallards. we also have 2 goose flags in our crew. we hunt ducks and geese at the same time. my spread sucks em right in most of the time. Oh yeah i also use ghg corn decoys. to be honest i noticed the difference right away looks like the flock is feeding on fresh ear corn. this year i plan on adding 2 dozen ghg duck shells to the spread and maybe a half dozen more full body geese.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:45 am

If you dont want to put up big money for full bodys some goose shells and like WI Gunner said cut the keels off some old floaters. You might pull them off. Are you near where the birds are coming and going? I mean do they see the field on their way somewhere else? If so get some motion in your spread like some of the guys said. Flags Spinners motion stakes and that will help.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:28 am

Definitely spinners... I think they work better on land than they do on the water. We saw a group of guys that put 7 in a field last year, and the ducks were like a tornado in there.
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby drake14 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Duck hunting is all about location, location, location. If the ducks dont want to be there then the nicest spread in the country isnt gonna pull 'em. If you dont have any fly overs or there arent alot of ducks in the area all the time then find a new spot. A decent spread will get the job done if ducks are using the field. Scout it out, if ducks are never there or are not flying over alot, then find a new spot.
drake14
hunter

Postby Honker Slayer » Wed May 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Like anything esle realted to waterfowlign location is the key...shelled corn firld near water are about the best Ive seen. If you can use spinners they will help alot...
Life is short... HUNT HARD!!!!
Honker Slayer
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting