Duck Hunting Forum banner

Blind Roof Material

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Theduckguru 
#1 ·
I am building a blind near a farm pond and curious what roof options are typically used for a blind roof that will be approximately 4' x 20'?

I was considering using 1/2" treated plywood and then coating the entire roof with the black roof patch material that is used around flashing, etc.

All comments would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I'd much rather sit in the rain a few days out of the season than have my sight and shooting restricted by a roof every day of it.

Just something to think about, if you haven't already. Roofed blinds are a pet peeve of mine. Grrrr...

#3 ·
In the past the blinds I built were normally up for a year or two. What we used to use was just regular 4'x8' sheets of plywood. If you plan on keeping the blind there for years, I would suggest if you don't use the roofing material to at least seal the wood with some Thompson water sealer. After the roof was up, we would hit it up with some cheap spray paint to dull out the wood. Then we put up some cheap netting, nailed and stapled it to the roof. For cover we used local vegetation, cedar tree limbs, etc and zip tied it to the netting. The last blind we made we centered the roof over the blind so we could shoot out all sides of it.

Just food for thought. Good luck with the build.

#4 ·
We use old used corrugated tin from old barns. Put chicken wire over it and attach vegetation to it. Lasts forever. You might have to get some of that spray on rubber coating to spray on the holes you don`t use. You know the kind where they patch the screen on the bottom of the boat :lol3:

#7 ·
tjones6474 said:
What would be the benefit of canvas and how would it hold up? I never even thought of using any sort of fabric.
You could easily engineer so it can be taken down if you do not want to use it, and heck of a lot cheaper than 1/2 pressure treated plywood. You could also use roofing felt and replace it each season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.