Gesse + Ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Gesse + Ducks

Postby drake14 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Should duck and goose decoys be mixed in a field spread or should there be seperation. Will having my duck dekes right beside my goose dekes be better or worse than having them all mixed together?
drake14
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 pm

i usually put the duck decoys in groups on the fringes of the goose decoys. maybe mix a couple in right in with the geese. i was wondering this last year so i went out a night before a hunt and glassed the field i was hunting. there was a big flock of geese with the ducks on the edges of it. a few big green heads would get in the middle but the geese usually chased the mallards to the edges. they were very territorial to the ducks trying to get the best food. maybe in a different situation with the food more wide spread in the field they might not be.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Canada's do not like to fly over ducks, so put the duck decoys to the sides or upwind of the goose decoys I like a good 5 to 10 yds between the geese and ducks decoys
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Same thoughts a h2ofwlr, I have seen geese flare to mallards deks alot. I have noticed that if you split the spread with mallards to one side and geese to another and sit in the geese, you'll do just fine. In most of my experience, ducks well make many attempts at your dekes and will fly over the geese to land where geese will only make 2-4 passes before leaveing. Make the deks in an L shape pattern and with the geese first into the wind and see what happens. Sit right at the back of the back of the geese. Good luck :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Heronk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:15 am

As the others have said, if you look at live birds in the field, the ducks will usually be seperate from the geese and upwind since the geese feed into the wind and continually nip at the tails of the ducks. If you watch them in the air, the geese will flare off flying mallards. So put your duck decoys upwind from your goose decoys. And turn off the spinners when geese are working because they will flare the geese.
I love to hunt....so why do I scout?
The more time I spend scouting....the less time I spend hunting!
Heronk
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting