Field stake help!

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Field stake help!

Postby JCSUMMS » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Any ideas on good stakes for full bodied shell mallard dekes? The factory stakes that come with G and H's field dekes aren't too good cause they make them look like they are falling forward and they are lopsided! I'm looking for some stakes that will give the dekes some motion or make them bobble in the wind. As creative as you guys are, I figure someone knows some tricks or how to make em! If not, anyone know what kind I should buy? I saw some in Cabela's that were spring loaded...a dozen for $20!
JCSUMMS
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:25 am

I was in your boat a couple of years ago. We went to a arts and crafts store and picked up some wooden dowels that were about 1/4 in thick and drilled a small screw in the top of them and cut them two around 1 and a half feet long. We then found the balance point in the shell and drilled a small hole in the top of the decoy at that point. We painted the dowels orange about half way down to look like feet and and dusted them with brown to give them a dirty look. It worked really well. They spin and move in the slightest wind. The length of the pole helped two. We can still put them above the corn but can drive them deep enough to in the wheat fields that they aren't really high. Remember to paint the screw brown or dip it in black liquid tap to remove shine. The liquid tap helps to cut down on noise to. Hope that helps.. :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby JCSUMMS » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:47 am

patrick.carrington,
Wow, that sounds like a great plan...thanks a lot! But my dekes already have square holes drilled in them at the balance point. They came like that from the factory. Do you have any ideas on how I could maybe rig them since they are like this?
JCSUMMS
hunter

Postby JCSUMMS » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:02 am

patrick.carrington,
I think I can use your idea cause I can make a small hole just to the left of the square hole already in my deke and it still be the "balance point." Do you remember what size drill bit you used to make the hole in the deke for the 1/4 inch dowel rods you used? Also, how tight do you tighten the screw? I'm thinking not too tight or it won't spin...just tight enough to keep the deke on, right? Thanks again!
JCSUMMS
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:14 pm

You have the right idea but it is easier. Take the dowel, put a small screw into the top of the dowel and set the decoy on top of it where the square hole already is. The screw should stick out of the top of the decoy just enough to keep the decoy from blowing off in the wind. Don't screw the decoy to it because that would take a tone of time to set them up. If there is already a hole in the top of the decoy, just put a washer on top of the dowel so the decoy wont slide down. That way in the morning, all you have to do is put the dowel in the ground and set the decoy on top of it and watch it come to life. If the hole that is in the decoy is not on the balance point, measure the screw and find a drill bit that is a tad bit bigger and put a new hole it the decoy where it balances properly. Not to say the screwing the decoy to the dowel isn't a bad idea, it would just take more time to set up. :thumbsup:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:02 am

Try the motion stakes that GHG make, 6 for $20
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msummers » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am

patrick.carrington,
Ok thanks for putting up with my stupidity :) But I still need help! You said, "If there is already a hole in the top of the decoy, just put a washer on top of the dowel so the decoy wont slide down."

I understand this, but the hole on top of the deke is about one square inch (yep, it's that big) so the dowel I use is gonna have to be huge in diameter or the deke will slide right down it! And after looking at it more this weekend, the hole already drilled is the "balance point" so not sure if I'm gonna be able to drill another hole! Am I on the right track or do I still have it all wrong :) ?
msummers
hunter

Postby msummers » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 am

Never mind, I guess if I have a washer big enough the deke won't slide down the dowel! I just have to find a washer that will fit around the dowel while at the same time be big enough that the deke won't slide down! Does this sound right?
msummers
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Sorry for the late response, try to find a rubber bumper or us a a piece of thick chicken wire and cut it into a circle . Let me know how it turns out.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby JCSUMMS » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:34 pm

patrick.carrington,
Okay, not sure what I'm doing wrong but just can't seem to get your trick to work like it's supposed to! I'm still a little confused as to how you get your idea to work! You say you put the screw on top of the dowel and then just place the deke on it, huh? When I try that, the ridges underneath the deke make it slide and fall off! And the pre-cut hole in the deke is just too big! The hole is the balance point but it's almost one square inch so there isn't much of a place to drill another hole and it be balanced! So here's what I did, and please let me know what you think or what I might be doing wrong with your idea! I drove a sharp flat head screw about halfway through the deke as close to the pre-drilled hole as possible. Then I placed the deke/screw onto the top of the dowel rod. That sucker spins and bobs like crazy just as long as I don't push the screw too far down into the dowell rod. If I push it too far, it holds real well but won't spin and bob much at all! But that's the problem I'm running in to! If I just barely put the screw into the dowel rod, the deke spins so much that a strong wind knocks it off or bobbles it so much up and down that it doesn't look natural! After a million tries, I have yet to find the right depth to push the screw into the dowel...it's either too deep and the deke doesn't move much or it's not deep enough and it moves too much! If the wind would just stay at a constant 5 to 10 mph, I'd have it made, but we know that ain't happening! HELP!!!
JCSUMMS
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:22 pm

I understand about the wind, and you have the right idea. SO if I understand you right, the decoy is bouncing up and down and then popping off the top of the decoy and falling onto the ground. Is that right? When I read your post, It sounds like you drilled a screw straight down from the top of the decoy but forward of the old hole and then screw the dowel to in before putting it into the ground and the screw is attached to the decoy. Am I on the right track? Is the screw popping off the decoy or is the decoy spinning off of the screw from the dowel? I think what you need is a longer screw or one with a bigger head. If it is popping off, try this. Go to Ace Hardware and find the carpenter nails that they use for Tyvek. They have a big plastic washer on them. Take the washer off and slide it onto the screw and paint it the color of the decoy and see if that can stop it from popping off. I can see why the original hole in the decoy was so large. They had the same design flaw with the decoy coming off so they made the hole bigger to keep it from bobbing but it would still spin. Some how you are going to have to find a way to anchor the screw to the decoy and the dowel so that it doesn't pop off. The order would be screw then washer, then push that through the hole in the decoy and secure it to the dowel. That might help a bit better. I wish I could take some pics to show you but I am in school right know. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:33 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Try the motion stakes that GHG make, 6 for $20

that is what i would do it is a lot eazer
clemaire2
hunter

Postby JCSUMMS » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:13 pm

patrick.carrington,
Yep, you've got it, except I put the screw in the deke BEHIND the factory drilled hole instead of in front of it. It seemed to balance a little better that way. And I put the dowel into the ground first, then place the deke (which has the screw drilled directly into the top of it) on top of the dowel. And I agree 100% with having to find a way to fix it. I will try the longer screw and washer. Like I said, the deke really looks awesome when the winds not blowing too hard...man that thing boogies...but it is just too wobbly when the wind picks up strong!

clemaire2,
I only bought two field stake dekes and I can only find them being sold in a 12 pack from Cabela's for $20. Do you happen to know where I could buy them individually? I hate to pay $20 plus $7 or $8 in shipping when I only need two stakes. But I agree with ya, that sure would be easier! If I can't get the above idea to work, I may just have to buy them from Cabela's. At least that would give me a reason to buy 10 more field dekes!
JCSUMMS
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm

that is what i would do

get more deks more deks never hurts

i dont remember wher i saw them ill try to find them ill let you know

green head gear real motion kits comes is 6 paks.
clemaire2
hunter

Postby JCSUMMS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:07 pm

clemaire2,
GHG real motion kits that come in 6 packs are for the full bodied dekes, aren't they? I need stakes for field shell dekes. If you know where they sell the GHG real motion kits in 6 packs that also work for shell dekes, let me know that too. Thanks!
JCSUMMS
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:06 pm

they work allthe same full body or shell i dont see why they would not work

but they make a nother motion stake for shells but they arent as good as the ones for the full bodys
clemaire2
hunter

Postby JCSUMMS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Is that right? So the GHG stakes for full body dekes work on shells too, huh? Hell, I didn't know that, so looks like I'll be getting those. They definately look like they would work better, I just didn't think they would fit shells. I'm looking at Cabela's right now and I see what you're saying about how GHG makes 2 kinds, one is called Universal motion stakes and sells for $19.99 per 12 and the other that you are talking about are called Real Motion stakes and sell for $17.99 for 6. What threw me off is the Real Motion advertisement says "Everything you need to rig your full-body decoys." And the picture in the advertisement shows the Real motion stake going into a full-body deke, whereas the Universal motion stake shows a shell deke and it says, "compatiable with any shell or full-body deke." Have you or anyone else ever tried the GHG Real Motion stakes on shells before?
JCSUMMS
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting