Dont laugh, but got a question

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Dont laugh, but got a question

Postby liv2hunt » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:29 pm

Ok, this is a suggestion question. I have a field that I hunt ducks/geese in that has two very shallow "ponds" in it. They are more just depressions in the ground that hold a little water. Anyways, this is the way I typically set up, but was wondering if anyone want to point out any suggestions that I may be missing. I am always up for shooting more ducks. I typically only hunt over about a half dozen geese and two dozen ducks. Seems to work fairly well, at least until I can cough up a few more hundred bucks for more geese dekes.

Thanks.

liv2hunt
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:27 pm

LIV2, i am no way an afficianado on this, I have read that ducks don't like to land righ over the top of other ducks, especially if they are different species. I have no proof of this at all, it was something i read in a DU article. So if that is the case, you would do better if your dekes were on the Up wind side. But i have no Idea. I try to do that.
Last edited by ACEBLDRS on Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby texasduckblaster » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:41 pm

no actually thats perfect because when ducks and geese come down to land they land into the wind, so it looks perfect to me
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:21 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:LIV2, i am no way an afficianado on this, I have read that ducks don't like to land righ over the top of other ducks, especially if they are different species. I have no proof of this at all, it was something i read in a DU article. So if that is the case, you would do better if your dekes were on the Up wind side. But i have no Idea. I try to do that.

Whoever wrote that article is wrong... at least in my experiance. Me & cooter have seen Mallards, Wigeon, Pintail & Green Wing Teal "stacked' on top of one another workin' the dekes. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:02 am

I put my dekes on the upwind side of the ponds in this situation.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:09 am

Tell you what, I'll come out this season and bring the dogs and decoys and we can do an in-depth study. :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:55 pm

Quackcephus wrote:
Whoever wrote that article is wrong... at least in my experiance. Me & cooter have seen Mallards, Wigeon, Pintail & Green Wing Teal "stacked' on top of one another workin' the dekes. :yes:

I will try to find it. Quackcephus, I think it was in a book that i got free when i ordered some stuff from Mack's last year I think it was called 101 Waterfowlint tips.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Re: Dont laugh, but got a question

Postby whitefeather » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:29 pm

liv2hunt wrote:Ok, this is a suggestion question. I have a field that I hunt ducks/geese in that has two very shallow "ponds" in it. They are more just depressions in the ground that hold a little water. Anyways, this is the way I typically set up, but was wondering if anyone want to point out any suggestions that I may be missing. I am always up for shooting more ducks. I typically only hunt over about a half dozen geese and two dozen ducks. Seems to work fairly well, at least until I can cough up a few more hundred bucks for more geese dekes.

Thanks.

Do you ever have geese hang up on the outside point of the goose deeks? I think your set up looks good, but sometimes I worry about that when I set up just as you did. Sometimes they do hang up and on other days they just come right to you. I have had them land short , down wind when they don't want the call as much. In that instance (after watching 2 bunches do it in row usually) I move the goose deeks behind me and shut up.
I would probably add about 50 dozen big feet behind you :yes:
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:04 am

Quackcephus wrote:
ACEBLDRS wrote:LIV2, i am no way an afficianado on this, I have read that ducks don't like to land righ over the top of other ducks, especially if they are different species. I have no proof of this at all, it was something i read in a DU article. So if that is the case, you would do better if your dekes were on the Up wind side. But i have no Idea. I try to do that.

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby athomeruddy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:27 pm

hard to tell you what to do not being able to see this place. but watch the birds use it for a day, find where the geese are, where the ducks are...and just copy them.
athomeruddy
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting