Duck Hunting Forum banner

Spinnning wing dekes in field?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mnflatlander 
#1 ·
What is a reccomended amount to use for ducks, we have a total of 6 but probably 5 one we might give to a kid starting to hunt a field we are gonna use!

what has every one experienced, put out 2, 3, 4 5+ ?? just trying to get a good idea! we have about 7 dozen geese and a few dozen ghg full bodies... so I guess I would be interested in knowing what u guys with success have done! thanks

#4 ·
I see you are from south east Wisconsin so your ducks aren't very smart yet and you are on the same line as me in MI. If it is ducks only, use 2 to 4 and keep them spread out(example pair to the right(drake/ hen), a single next to the blind and another of to the left all facing into the wind). If you are going to hunt both, 1 to 2 spinning ducks is good. Geese like movement but not a lot of flashy movement so keep the spinners away from the side with your geese and keep the duck and geese decoys separate in the field. That is very important. If you mix the two, the ducks while land but the geese won't even look at you. Also to keep the flash down on the wings of the MOJO's put a nylon (panty ho) over the wing. It still does the job but not as pronounced.

#7 ·
chase83 said:
Did u mean keep spinner away from geese, ??? U said keep away from Ducks and ducks away from geese?
Sorry dude, I had a type-o. What I meant was in the field, keep the ducks and the geese separate. Don't put geese and ducks in the same pile. Geese to one side and ducks to another. It really works better with both in the field but if you start putting ducks in with the geese, the geese will flare. Ducks don't care. They'll see where the most ducks are and land but geese are picky. But if you are going to hunt for ducks, don't bring but a few 3D geese. My rule for spinners and it works for me is the first dozen decoys, bring two mojo's and after that bring one for every two dozen decoys you are placing. Also, try the nylon thing. It works really well. brings them in a lot closer. :thumbsup:

I edited my other post so it makes better since. Sorry again.

#8 ·
Geese do not want to cross over ducks as often ducks jumo straight up and can collide with the geese. IMO that is the main reason geese aviod ducks. You can put geese decoys down wind of ducks decoys, but not the other way around.

Myself I do not care for spinners. But they do work more times than not in a field.

#9 ·
Here's another question on this topic. If you are hunting both ducks and geese on a field and you want to use duck spinning wing decoys what is the best placement of the spinning decoy?. I usually set my goose decoys in a 'J' or 'U' with the opening of the 'J'/'U' downwind. Is it best to place the spinner/s on the back side (upwind) of the 'J'/'U' or on the outside of the spread? Using laydown blinds and setting the spinners out to the side, it seems that the ducks want to land on the outside where the spinner is. Any info will help! Shoot straight! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.