need help

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

need help

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:33 am

i found a spot this morning with about 400 mallards there they have been flying over my house all summer long i see them in the air alot but this is the only place were i've seen them on the ground/water

i cannot get permission from the guy that owns due to the fact that he is against hunting but we own a field right across they all landed at about 7 this morning if i set dekes in my field across from it no water just about 4 dozen goose decoys and a mojo would they decoy or just fly bye and land in the other field
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:21 pm

I would think that you would be able to draw a couple to your spread if there are that many there are bound to be a few that would want to check it out. You wont know though until you try it. :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:26 pm

Nothing beats being on the "X". But you may be able to run traffic on them with the right winds and weather, and set up.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowl slammer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Just remember one thing DONT SKY blast them they will change their path and be 10 times as hard to get if you get them gun shy. Get the ones you can to come in and just watch the others. It will make the ducks stick around a while longer.
waterfowl slammer
hunter

Postby duck duster » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:48 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Nothing beats being on the "X". But you may be able to run traffic on them with the right winds and weather, and set up.

I agree with h2ofwlr. It's been my experience when field shooting ducks that they tend to circle so much you are bound to pull a few in to shooting range with the set up you are suggesting. If you are close to the place they want to go, they will give you a look.
Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
duck duster
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:53 pm

Lots of movement and lots of noise. Don't get up if they all go to the other field. Stay put because after they get done feeding, or if the feed gets scarce, they are going to look for more food and where better to go than the field you are in. I have had your situation happen to me and we learned the hard way by leaving. We came back the next day and every duck we say the day before was in there. And to add to the other comments, they are going to circle a lot and not like geese where it is 2-3 times. Where talk'n 5, 6, maybe even 7 times before they will land so you'll get a shoot. Good luck.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby twowetdogz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:36 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:I would think that you would be able to draw a couple to your spread if there are that many there are bound to be a few that would want to check it out. You wont know though until you try it. :thumbsup:

What he said.
Wait........Wait...............Wait.................Take 'Em!!!..............Fetch!

Gotta Love It.
twowetdogz
hunter

Postby cbroche10 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 am

You can get shots on these ducks but you will have to have some patience. As with all of duck hunting, the ducks go where they want to go and where the food source is, but, if you set up a smart spred, and use the wind, you can get some good shots and probably get some to deke in. I would not use a huge spread. This will look un-natural to them if they have not been using that field. Definately use a spinner and if you have more than one that is better. Use your call! You will need to call the ducks to you in this situation, they will circle more when coming into a field and you will get some ducks coming close to check you out and you will get your shots. Definatley use some goose dekes, we do it all the time for confidence. The one thing to remember when hunting a patch next where the ducks are is that you need to have movement in your spread, you want to be blinded up where you get the best chance for "passing" shots, use the wind to your advantage. We only hunt fields, early in the morning, the ducks will more than likely come to your spread before they go to the field they are using. But take the shot when they are in range unless you know that they are going to deke all the way in.
cbroche10
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:26 pm

well we tried on the youth season saturday worked all right shot 3 teal but missed the mallards and a honker but ohwell a couple more weeks and ill give it another try

i was able to get a couple mojos and they worked decent but alot of em knew were they were going
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby cbroche10 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Hey bud,

the success of the hunt was that you were out there and you tried. We are gearing up to plow some geese on the opener this weekend. Have about 400 or so using one of our corn fields. We will not set up for ducks opening morning as geese tend to hesitate to come into moto ducks. But we will set up for ducks Sunday as shooting hours start when it is still a little dark and we should get some good duck action before the geese start moving. In about a month or so, we will have our grain corn down and maybe you can come up to good ole Corinne and have a good field mallard shoot with us.

Keep shootin!
cbroche10
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:23 pm

:dito:

thats what it really is all about not necessarily slaying um but being out there taking some shots and being with ur dog and friends
waterfowler20 wrote:

TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting