Hiding in Soybean Fields

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Hiding in Soybean Fields

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:40 pm

Need some ideas on ways to hide in harvested soybean fields. The only way we have found is wait till there is snow on the ground and use white sheets. If anyone has any good ideas let me know
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:45 pm

I don't really know, but I am thinking if you would dig a little pit to lay in, or something like that. I always wondered how to hide in one of those fields.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:17 pm

i have a avery finisher blind which will give u the cover that u need to hunt any type of feilds. The blind has straps that u can put whatever is on the ground on your blind to make it disapper into the field and they also have a snow cover for it so u can have it strait white and stay warm and dry :oops: .
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:57 pm

Yup, get a layout field blind like Final Approach. "Mud it" well and it'll blend in pretty good.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coyote1 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:42 am

My buddy and I made our own goose chair blinds for abot $15. We have a couple of small bed sheets that were put in the washing machine with Ritt die (grey). With a little flat black paint and some brown paint streeks on it to cover your legs. Or go buy a pair of cheep painters bibs and do the same. It's good eneough to get their legs a droppin in on us. good luck.
coyote1
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:56 am

how about you where camo and instead of cheap painters pants and instead of wasting your time go buy a ground blind there more comfortable, better cover with stuble straps, and waterproof.
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coyote1 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:51 am

Well price could be a problem, most good ground blinds go for over 2 bills. Exclude the Power Hunter whis is to small for big guys. As far as camo goes i have never seen a bean stubble pattern, corn stuble , oat stubble yes but it is too light. There needs to be a cammo pattern named "Dirt or Earth " that is where Rit die comes in. It is also nice to hunt in something you made all by you self that works. Something a big company hasnt or couldnt do for what ever reason. Your choice spend $200 or more or make your own for less than $40 that will work just fine.
coyote1
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:45 am

well they have corn field and wheat stubble patterns that you can get at cabelas that will work in those field that you are hunting and yea i spent 250 for my ground blind and it works and is very helpful to hunt spots that have very little cover.
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coyote1 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:55 am

coyote1 wrote:Well price could be a problem, most good ground blinds go for over 2 bills. Exclude the Power Hunter whis is to small for big guys. As far as camo goes i have never seen a bean stubble pattern, corn stuble , oat stubble yes but it is too light. There needs to be a cammo pattern named "Dirt or Earth " that is where Rit die comes in. It is also nice to hunt in something you made all by you self that works. Something a big company hasnt or couldnt do for what ever reason. Your choice spend $200 or more or make your own for less than $40 that will work just fine.

I missed spoked they DO make corn and oat stuble, sorry. But i believe you stick out like a sore thumb in a cut bean field ,been there done that, compaired to the cammo we have made by hand, there is none. if you got a $250 layout blind it dosent matter what you where.
coyote1
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:54 pm

yea and it keeps you dry and warm for those late season hunts
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pj » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:29 pm

It was the best investment I ever made.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby Tarponman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:43 am

try a Ghoullie suit and don't move that works great for me. I use a tan sheet to cover my legs and gun
Tarponman
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:38 pm

you can always do the old thing of just wareing clothing that for the most part matches the grond/earth color and then just set a mag. dek on you cured but before i got my blind it worked fine if you have enough dekes
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckPlayer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:58 am

If you are handy try this it costs barly nothin but some time and energy. For each hunter get a peice of dull material big enough to cover up your entire body with tans and light brown work great. Get in you truck and take along some 5 gal buckets and a rake stop by walmart a buy some construction type adhesive the kind that dispenses from a caulking gun works great then head out to a bean feild thats being harvested and ask the farmer if you can pick up the chafings that come out the back of the combine(where they turn around at the end of the feild theres usually 3 or 4 inch deep piles) get back home and lay your material out on the driveway or whatever and run a bead or two of adhesive in parallel line smooth them out a little and throw some handfuls of bean stalk on there and press into place. repeat until its all covered let dry then gently roll up and take it hunting place a rubber type ground sheet on the ground lay down an cover up. Its quite a bit of work but if you do a good job you will dissapear into that feild!!
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby quackkiller » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:20 pm

That's gonna be kinna tricky to cover up in cut bean field, but it can be done. I've done it with my finisher. I put it on the lowest position and I rubbed mud all over it to make it blend in with the ground, and then took what bean stalks I could get and put them in the stubble straps. It took some thought and a little work but the results made it all worthwhile.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ken h » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:36 pm

I use a finisher and try to use terraces to my advantage by trying to put them at the lowest point and use bean stubble in the straps.
ken h
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:38 pm

your best bet for soybean fields would be the avery finisher in max4 its nice and dark and will blend into the ground better.....but there still reamins the problem of concieling them in a bean field because most farmers are using schaff spreaders and are cutting the stubble a lil over 2 inches which gives u next to no cover......pm me if some one has found a way.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby bluebilldays » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:18 pm

What we do is take a lawn rake in the field with you and rake up all of the excess stubble left behind( not close to you spot of course) and put in on you finisher blind. I have never had any problem with finishing geese in soy fields this was way. No need for cammo pattern either, go with khaki because you mud up your blind and you cannot see the pattern anyway. Just money spent that was not needed. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:39 pm

Wow, this threat is over 2 years old! :eek:

Sinces back up though.... Over 2 bills for a layout is worth every penny. But you can get a good quality blind for 150 if you look around. The layouts provide insulation, wind protection, and excellet concealment. You can move around and not be seen. You can call at will. And they are comfortable as all heck, I've fallen asleep in mine many-a-time. i used to take the cheap approach and cover up with camoed blankest. I found some cheap miltary surplus blankes and spray painted them with different brown paints on one side, and white on the other for snow. It worked fine, but nothing to compare with the layout
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:13 pm

:withstupid: Like Boom said the layout blinds are worth every penny! I found that Rogers Sporting Goods in MO has the best prices on the layout blinds and the shipping is 10 dollars. That beats alot of places on shipping. I paid 150 for a Avery Finisher Blind Brand new in Khaki from there. They also have great deals on dekes if your ever in the market for dekes!!!!
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby athomeruddy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 pm

a ghillie suit was my tip, cheap to do, just go buy a few old BDUs for a few bucks a piece, cut em up in strips and sew them on a full set of bdus. i use on for bear bow hunting and works great.

The ameristep blinds are layout blinds and about 60 buck, they are a little high profile but you can cut the spring out and just manually flip the flaps. I did this for a few years before i got a FA SUB(which are about 160 and big)

but the ameristeps are very low profile(well, depending on how big your guy is, as thats how high they sit with you in them) GOOD LUCK
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby deadduk » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Hay bales work well, set a couple end to end, and break open up a couple of bales and spread them on top to break up the outline
just because your not shooting does not mean your not hunting
deadduk
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:03 pm

On a bean field that has been harvested

If the farmer will let you, get a shovel and dig your layout in to the ground so your profile is lower.

also I havent seen one but I have heard of guys making layouts using rubbermade trashcans. The cut them in half bolt the open ends together and there ya go.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:14 am

I cannot speak for further north, but here in Mississippi if the farmer did not go back and disc up the field, you will have lots of grass/weed growth and there is plenty of cover. Enough that if you were on a budget, you could use some of those grasses and some camo cloth and do real good. I have done the same thing in a corn field here on Geese and it worked great.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:38 pm

I know this topic is old, but I went on my first field hunt last weekend and we were hunting in a soybean field in Oklahoma. My buddy has been doing it for years and sets up for geese and ducks.

He digs a 2 ' round pit about 3' deep and places silhouettes on either side of the seated hunter. The sils are painted (pretty rough I might add) and they block the bitter north wind pretty well. We sit on the ground with our feet in the pit and wear camo from head to toe and wait.

His spread consists of 30-40 duck decoys with 3 robos and 60 or so goose shells. He also has 2 canadian robos and 2 snow robos for the geese. We also put out approximately 200 canadian wind socks and they really seemed to work well with the high winds. (other than some of them ripping apart in the stubble)

I'm not sure if the farmer had disced or not, the stubble was fairly high, 4-6 inches in some cases,

We didn't have any great days, but considering the weather and the wind, we did get plenty of ducks and geese checking out the spread and probably should have limited out at least two of the days. I'm hoping with more experience comes better aim and more confidence pulling that trigger.
GCox25
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting