calling in the field

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

calling in the field

Postby bstrandon » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:11 pm

I don't get to study large groups of mallards in dry fields. That said, Maybe this is a stupid question.. Is a mallard feeding chuckle a good call to use while hunting in a field, or is that simply a water set-up call?
bstrandon
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:41 pm

GREAT CALL TO USE IN THE FIELD. In my experience, I only tend to hear the feeding chuckle from live birds when I'm in the field. If I had to guess, I would guess that the feed chuckle is a state of excitement telling each other that they are hungry and want to land there. So, by chuckling you're convincing birds in the air that someone in the group or on the ground thinks that this place is good enough. I don't chuckle on water anymore unless I'm hunting feed. The single quack does more anyway.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby bstrandon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:17 am

hey thanks skyblaster! I just started field hunting this year for geese, but i've been waiting for the duck hunt to open here so I could throw my field mallards out as well! Duck opened this weekend, so i'll be sure to chuckle my ass off!
bstrandon
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 am

I have also heard using a loader open water call is better for field hunting, not really sure but soming i heard. someone may want to contest that theory.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby mike. » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:35 pm

waterfowler9 wrote:I have also heard using a loader open water call is better for field hunting, not really sure but soming i heard. someone may want to contest that theory.

thats true because on the windier days, you would need a louder call to reach out to them.
mike.
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:15 am

try high ball calling with a single reed to get there attention. then switch to a wench or timber call as they get in close and YES CHUCKLE ALOT. Just a simple tut tut tut works great. unless you are really good at a fast chuckle, then use it. Seems to work for us.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Trav28 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 am

waterfowler9 wrote:I have also heard using a loader open water call is better for field hunting, not really sure but soming i heard. someone may want to contest that theory.

Depends on the area. Alot of the fields I hunt are pretty close to a river with steep banks. Too loud and it'll echo. Use your ears, they'll tell you if you need to tone it back.
Trav28
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:25 am

Yeah if you hear the echo blow your call at the ground it helps with that. This also works in the timber. :thumbsup:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:08 pm

I agree with the other posts. Loud calling except for when they are in your face, emphasize the feeding chuckle with some volume. The winds always blowing hard here in kansas so that is the only way i know.
Jarbo03
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting