Birds Flaring...

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Birds Flaring...

Postby Timbo4 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Fellas,

I have a question. I was out out hunting the other night in a cut grain field. The ducks were dive bombing this field. So, we go set up in the rain, end up scaring a few ducks while setting up.

We set up 14 Big Foot goose decoys, a half dozen duck decoys and a mojo. We set the goose dekes out around our blinds to help the blinds blend in, we put the duck decoys out in front of our blinds along with the mojo. Anyways, the ducks would circle and circle, and eventually peel out and leave....they wouldn't commit and come in with their landing gear down.

So, we rearranged the goose decoys into more of a pocket....moved the mojo...moved the duck decoys. We tried everything we could think of. We finally had more success after we moved our blinds 15 yards back away from our decoys.

Since this seemed to improve the situation, could it have been the lack of green stubble on our blinds that was flaring the birds? We got a late start on our set up, so we didn't have time to add much green that the field was under seeded with. Would that be enough to flare the birds? I know that has killed us with geese.

As far as calling, we just used basic quacks and feeding chuckles...nothing fancy...we used a little more aggressive calling when the birds started to leave...but nothing really brought them back to us.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Sounds like you needed to brush your blinds better. When our group sets up. Usually one person does that while the rest set up. Then the rest of the group helps when done setting up. That should be a top priority. Nothing flares birds worse than a unbrushed blind.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Yeah, I'd say the blinds were standing out to much Tim.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:15 am

Quite a few hunters don't even mix their blinds in with the decoys anymore because they think the ducks learn where to look for layouts. I've hunted outside of the spread before and shot the snot out of them where earlier when I was in the spread they'd flair. Because it's so early in the season, I'd agree with the others and say your blinds weren't brushed good enough.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby Timbo4 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Yeah, I figured it was the blinds...just wanted to see if there was anything I wasn't thinking of. We usually do take good care in brushing in our blinds...but we were late getting to the field and it was raining fairly hard...so we did a quick once over so we could get in the blinds quicker and out of the rain. Lesson learned I guess...thanks fellas.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby chase83 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:41 pm

if its not that then take out the mojo!! they see that everywhere!! good luck!
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:49 pm

When we're late gettin out, we still take time to brush blinds even though birds are flying.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby Timbo4 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Yeah, a person might as well be out brushing in the blinds when a few birds are coming in, becuase you end up paying for a bad brush job later on anyways.

We actually did shut the mojo off for a few flocks, but didn't really notice any difference. The mojo seemed to make them a little more interested.

Ya know, the funny thing is, when you can't shoot ducks in early goose season, the damn things come in and land right in the pocket, sometimes when a person is sitting up in the blind.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:43 am

Timbo4 wrote:Ya know, the funny thing is, when you can't shoot ducks in early goose season, the damn things come in and land right in the pocket, sometimes when a person is sitting up in the blind.

Of course :huh: :yes: :wink:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Oh don't know goosehunter64, the birds seem to be winning the war this year. Having a hard time this year...maybe it was just luck last year....but we are earning every bird we shoot this year.

Cripes, a couple weeks ago, we had to call so much to bring the birds back around and get them to come in, that my lips were getting tired from blowing the call. Every flock did the same thing, come over the tree line, veer to the right, and start to leave...then we had to get on them hard with the calls to bring them back around. Then they would circle and start to leave again, so back on teh calls, and around they would come again...and so and so on.

But, we were hunting in a ploughed under grain field, and it is next to impossible to hide in that stuff. No stubble at all.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:21 am

Have you guys tried different blind positions. Like setting them closer, with the wind to the left or right or even quartering off one shoulder instead of right over your back.
Some of these fields...ask permission to dig down a little and put the dirt back when done.
Maybe, set out two blinds instead of 3 or 4, and trade back and forth.
Just something to think about bud.....hope it gets better for you guys.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:00 am

During teal season, I made a point to call at the mallards that I saw to see their reaction. You couldn't hunt them yet, so they shouldn't be too decoy shy even though they probably land in some decoy spreads and get scared out during early season, and the majority of the birds were not interested. I thought it was interesting to say the least.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:13 am

chase83 wrote:if its not that then take out the mojo!! they see that everywhere!! good luck!

I did that this weekend and moved our goose deks about 20 yards away from the ducks and added some pintail and wigeon calling and they commeted alot better. We had the same problem with the flaring so we just keep moving the goose deks farther and farther away and the more we moved them the better the shooting got.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting