overcast vs. clear skies

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

overcast vs. clear skies

Postby Timbo4 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Fellas,

I have read about hunting in cloudy dark overcast days vs. sunny clear skies, and I have a question. What type of weather, overcast vs. clear skies, do you find you have the most success...or do you even notice a difference?
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Generally will take any weather outside of Bluebird. Late season nearing/starting ice-up I'll take that clear calm day, otherwise no.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 am

Some spots here, if it isn't cloudy...the geese won't fly.
I like crisp and cold....but I'll take anything but a rainy day. I've never had any success, unless it was a big storm with high winds...but just a normal rainy day...no way.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby slothman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 pm

It seems to me that on an overcast day the ducks will fly a lot better, but will be extremely weary and will not commit as easily. I think that it has something to do with the fact that they may be able to see you better on an overcast day due to the lack of shadows.

I don't know, but that seems to be how it is with me.
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

If you miss a lot of birds, does that make you a conservationist?
slothman
hunter

Postby Timbo4 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm

That is kinda what I have noticed. On the cloudy days the ducks are constantly flying around at all hours of the day. However, they seem to be way more skittish than on sunny days. This could be just coincidence, but it seems every time we go out on cloudy days, the ducks just won't commit....while on sunny days they do.

I know this could be the result of various variables...but we tried moving the blinds back from the decoys, shifting mojo location, doing our blinds in extremely well...nothing seemed to work. They would circle and circle and start to come in, and at about 30 to 40 yards out, they would flare.

The only thing we didn't try the last time out was moving our blinds further apart. We had 3 blinds fairly close to each other, which in hind site could have been our downfall.
-Tim
Timbo4
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:32 am

Yep I am on the same part of the rest of them when it comes down to birds moving more during cloudy day then sunny. The shadows place a big part which is why hunting from a blind is so important on a cloudy day than not. I think the best days are cold, snowy, low visibility days. they cant see you and they become dinner.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Puddler81 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:20 am

patrick.carrington wrote:Yep I am on the same part of the rest of them when it comes down to birds moving more during cloudy day then sunny. The shadows place a big part which is why hunting from a blind is so important on a cloudy day than not. I think the best days are cold, snowy, low visibility days. they cant see you and they become dinner.

+1 Exactly what I would have said
Puddler81
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Puddler81 wrote:
patrick.carrington wrote:Yep I am on the same part of the rest of them when it comes down to birds moving more during cloudy day then sunny. The shadows place a big part which is why hunting from a blind is so important on a cloudy day than not. I think the best days are cold, snowy, low visibility days. they cant see you and they become dinner.

+1 Exactly what I would have said

+2
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:59 pm

I enjoy hunting in fog the most. Overcast is good too, but I had a lot of GREAT bluebird days this year.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby idduckhntr2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:09 pm

I've had my best days on cold sunny days. For some reason it seemed like the birds didn't care about anything but eating. We were sitting up in our blinds and the birds were still coming right in. This was also late in the season. I agree about overcast skies as well. It seems like they fly all day but they are extremely weary.
idduckhntr2
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting